FUCK! now what do I do?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when this happens most people think your screwed but with the right machine that hardened tap can easily and quickly be desintagrated with out any heat warpage or harm to the fine soft aluminum threads ,

this machine is called ram EDM

No shit?? I stand corrected thanks :thumbsup:

LOL magz :huh:

Was he running the tap dry? You should always use cutting oil or at least some wd-40 when tapping. turn tap in 1 turn back out 1/2 turn until all the way in. Most of the time a broken tap is operator error. sorry man.

Same thing happened to me. I was running the tap dry because I figured it would be alright seeing as it was aluminum. I was wrong.

Is the tap sitting in the bore of the carb? If not (mine wasnt) I just sealed mine up, so it wouldn't pull any vacuum, and kept the tors on it for a while. I have a 2-1 now.

If you were running the tap dry and you tell vito's that they will more than likely give you no sympathy.

I just tapped my new carbs (thanks deerekiller) the other day. Tapped them dry and used a pair of pliers to turn the tap, all went well for me that time but it was very nerve racking.

When I tapped my old carbs the tap that came with the kit could be used in a drill, I just drilled the tap into the carb on low gear and ran it back out and I was good to go.

Edited by Mjv420

If thier run thru dry they will ! thats a small tap with lots of resistance when used dry .

You know you are right... I wasnt realizing just how tiny they are. I used to work at a shot

that tapped aluminium pump housings on agricultural sprayers... Stuff was 3/8 to 1/2 inch

and it wasnt snapping wet or dry in aluminium...

whats the major difference??

The PJ uses an oval shaped slide and the PWK's use a thinner D Shaped slide for Better throttle responce. The Idle adjustment on PWK's is a scew that lifts the slide, on the PJ's you have to turn the choak nob to set the idle. PWK's tune a little easier than PJ's.

The Pj is just an older designe carb. It will work fine once you get it setup. The PWK's are just a new design that works better.

Make sure you get a carb sync from fast. That will help you sync the idle ajustments, and carb top adjustmens a whole lot easier.

josh