+4 Timing key

In "theory" the key should not have any problems with sharing off, due to the taper that Booker was talking about. However we all know these motors are not by any means an exact science and it's a simple fact that they do shear. If your objectve is to prove a point by all means have at it, but dont complain if the thing shears off when your 4 miles out stranded. Just like in "theory" boost bottles work. We all know they do not.

Just becasue it hasnt sheared yet doesnt mean your in good for the long haul. I rode with a guy that had a lightened flywheel and swore it would never have issues. ran it for 2 years and one day the things exploded out in the iddle of no where in glamis while he wasn't riding hard.

Am I saying it will break? No, but it is more likely then a stock full size woddruff.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you really think that if one of these guys keys broke we would hear about it on HQ? i highly doubt after all the degree key threads would any of these guys actually post a failure.. that shit would be labeled classified and stored with the rest of the CIA files.
Unlike you Loco, I would tell if it broke. I'm sure Jack would say somthing also. But the degree key is still working fine. Been using it 2-3 times a week, and plan on using it forever.

Unlike you Loco, I would tell if it broke. I'm sure Jack would say somthing also. But the degree key is still working fine. Been using it 2-3 times a week, and plan on using it forever.

unlike you pabanshee, i would not buy a degree key...so there would be nothing to tell.

I am just totally curious now about these keys... If anyone does have a failure I hope they post

it and tell us the story... Until I asked about them I have never heard of one breaking...

i guarantee you no one from PA will ever admit to having one break.. because they know they would never hear the end of it.

i guarantee you no one from PA will ever admit to having one break.. because they know they would never hear the end of it.

If it broke it would be posted. we just dont believe it will. if it was to go we would be on warning members not to get one. we never seen it in person so why believe it. as for the C.I.A. files your talking about. no Cocks In Ass here bud. thats all you.

lol well Im from northwestern pa and back i n the day i broke many of them and i finally got smart and decided to get an adjustable plate to advance my timing and life has been good ,this reminds me that a standard butter knife can work okay to make a flathead screw driver for hanging a picture up but its not by no means the best method

Edited by flotek

lol well Im from northwestern pa and back i n the day i broke many of them and i finally got smart and decided to get an adjustable plate to advance my timing and life has been good ,this reminds me that a standard butter knife can work okay to make a flathead screw driver for hanging a picture up but its not by no means the best method

ok... I dont want to start some shiznit but I have to ask... How can so many people, including

people I know run these keys in everything from bolt on bikes, to built ass hill shooters not shear

one in years and countless hours of riding, and you broke "several" of them??? It would lead me

to believe that you were installing them wrong, there was a defect in the batch of keys you had,

or there was a defect with your crank or flywheel? I'm sorry, but I just dont buy it that "its the key"

alone thats the issue with the reports people are giving here... If it were a matter of design, the

stock woodruff keys would be shearing at a similar rate, as they are pretty damn close in design

and material makup, and I have never heard of a stock key shearing? Just some points I wanted

to make....

Edited by mdhc500

ok... I dont want to start some shiznit but I have to ask... How can so many people, including

people I know run these keys in everything from bolt on bikes, to built ass hill shooters not shear

one in years and countless hours of riding, and you broke "several" of them??? It would lead me

to believe that you were installing them wrong, there was a defect in the batch of keys you had,

or there was a defect with your crank or flywheel? I'm sorry, but I just dont buy it that "its the key"

alone thats the issue with the reports people are giving here... If it were a matter of design, the

stock woodruff keys would be shearing at a similar rate, as they are pretty damn close in design

and material makup, and I have never heard of a stock key shearing? Just some points I wanted

to make....

the reason stock keys dont shear at a similar rate is because they are STRONGER.. whats so fucking hard to understand about that? the offset in the degree key creates a shear point. its not that hard of a concept.

the reason stock keys dont shear at a similar rate is because they are STRONGER.. whats so fucking hard to understand about that? the offset in the degree key creates a shear point. its not that hard of a concept.

the crank is tapered to fit the flywheel. the key dont hold the pressure of the flywheels rotation. the key is there to align the flywheel to the crank. whats so fucking hard to understand about that? its not that hard of a concept. CLOWN.

Show me an adjustable flywheel key that is as shear proof as a timing plate, and I'll buy all your stories.

Otherwise....

What is 20 to 30 bucks more for a piece of mind...adjustability, etc? Especially after you spend hundreds, if not thousands on the bike and it's parts.

What if your bike likes 5 degrees...what if it likes 6...or 3? Guess you wouldn't know.

Until you can prove to me the flywheel key can be adjustable and as shear proof as a plate...your arguments hold no water.

Easier to install? You're half way there taking off the side cover and flywheel nut. It's literally 15 to 20 more minutes in the hands of a monkey to take off a few screws for the wires, move the stator and pickup over to a plate, and bolt it all down.

If you're that interested in saving 20 to 30 bucks....you're in the wrong sport.

Edited by dajogejr

Show me an adjustable flywheel key that is as shear proof as a timing plate, and I'll buy all your stories.

Otherwise....

What is 20 to 30 bucks more for a piece of mind...adjustability, etc? Especially after you spend hundreds, if not thousands on the bike and it's parts.

What if your bike likes 5 degrees...what if it likes 6...or 3? Guess you wouldn't know.

Until you can prove to me the flywheel key can be adjustable and as shear proof as a plate...your arguments hold no water.

Easier to install? You're half way there taking off the side cover and flywheel nut. It's literally 15 to 20 more minutes in the hands of a monkey to take off a few screws for the wires, move the stator and pickup over to a plate, and bolt it all down.

If you're that interested in saving 20 to 30 bucks....you're in the wrong sport.

well dajogejr the story is they didnt brake. most of us here use them. its not about the money, or how easy it is to put in. yea your right if the shee like +3 +5 +6 i wont know seeing i dont have a plate. i see that advantage over the key. like i said they havent broke yet so run what you want. i can care less who has a key and who has a plate. my key works. i noticed a quicker throttle response when i put it in and i like it and yes if i went +5 it could be better.

edit: was there were (2) the's in a sentence... (1) omitted

WOW, Thanks loco... Since you CAPITALIZED stronger, it must be... That is all the proof I needed

buddy! You should be a teacher... You are so eloquent in how you communicate things to others.

Edited by mdhc500

yo have you seen on loco vids what he calls hillclimbs i dont think he even could understand how bad we pound our engines ive had 4+ for 4 years thru two differnt cranks with them hills ha ha im not sure why he did anything to his bikes i feel sorry for those who cant ride up here then maybe they would understand