carb problems?

ran at the dunes over the weekend and cant figure out whats wrong. top end is great but sputters like crazy anything before that. have 290 mains with matching needle set at center groove, 30 pilot, cleaned carbs to shine, with a 4 degree adnave in timing. runs a little rich but the mix is also a little rich. any ideas?

does this through everything and at the low end of the powerband. i have fmf gold series pipes with powercore 2s timing set 4 degree advance, and thats it. everything is stock except the bore at 40 over. jets are 290 mains with 30 pilots needle set one below stock. runs rich. running 93 octane 32:1 mix. cant figure it out. if i lean out the needle it cuts out when you hit the throttle. if i richen it its a little better but not right. maybe my jets are not the right size? screw is 1 and a half turns out and thats the best it will run at that setting. idles fine but throttle response sucks. i dont think it can be the reeds and i dont have any leaks. compression is good (fresh bore also).

Sounds like pretty rich lower and mid ckt for airbox w/lid. Take it off, see if it runs worse or better and go from there. What does your plug look like? Are they wet?

took lid off and runs alot better. gonna set needle back to stock setting and see how much better i can get it. plugs were dry but a lot of oil build up and black. obviously burning too rich. ill work on the jetting a little more. would it be worth gettin a power lid or just leave it off? i run in a lot of wet terrain so i dont like the idea of not having some kind of lid. maybe i can fabricate something with more air flow for it.