VP RACING? C12, C14 or wich?

gst_r

I run C12 in mine and it loves it but I need to because the motor compression where I ride in NJ is 180psi. C14 is 115 motor octane which is pretty damn high, C12 is 108 motor octane. Do a compression test, post the results here, and see what others think. I run a 50:50 mix of C12 and 92 octane and +2 timing and it runs fine, no signs of detonation. There is no need to run a higher octane that your motor needs, you are just wasting money. C14 is more expensive than C12 and the price of gas in general right now isn't exactly cheap either.

Edited by tgbanshee

You could probably run VP Red. It is 105 motor octane and is supose to be a more afordable fuel.

I run Citgo 110

Motor octane is 106

(R+M)/2 is 110

Research Octane is 114

Citgo 110, Sunoco Standard 110 are good fuels that are way cheaper than VP. When you buy VP you do get a good fuel but your paying for the name. Verry Pricy

You could probably run VP Red. It is 105 motor octane and is supose to be a more afordable fuel.

I run Citgo 110

Motor octane is 106

(R+M)/2 is 110

Research Octane is 114

Citgo 110, Sunoco Standard 110 are good fuels that are way cheaper than VP. When you buy VP you do get a good fuel but your paying for the name. Verry Pricy

I'm looking for an alternative to C12 right now for that exact reason, the shit is over $80 now for a 5gal jug in NJ. There is a small airport 10mins down the road from me that sells aviation fuel, I'm toying with the idea of trying that out.

I wish there was somebody nearby in NJ that sold CAM2 110 so I can just go pick it up when I need it instead of having to order C12. Raceway Park is the only place I know of that sells race fuel and it's about an hour drive :down:

Edited by tgbanshee

I bet you would be surprised. If you look hard enough there would be some body.

Go through the local race ways pits and see if there is some body selling. There is another guy I deal with he pulls a trail in to the pits and just sells barrles of fuel, tires and that kind of stuff. If you find a good ol guy that use to race, and just sells stuff to make a little cash and for fun you will get a pretty good deal. You see some poeple on here that buy there fuel from a quad shop and get raped 75+ bucks for a 5 gallon can.

I have a general rule. If the shop has it out on display with all the other stuff you are getting ripped off. They got it sitting there like it is a majical blend. The real guys sell it by the 55 gallon drum and it is way cheaper per gallon. I have a 100 dollar 12v dc pump that has the hose and fuel nossle on it. I just pull a plug out and thread the pump on. I have aligator clamps on the wires and just hook it up to my pickup battery.

Alot of ups and downs with opinions on AVGAS. Some say do, some say don't. I personally wouldn't because it is the same price as CAM2, and I just don't like the science behind it. Why do it if you don't have to. It won't hurt as I saw guys run it for years and they still do, but I would just stay away IF YOU COULD.

In terms of getting CAM2 or another alternative, look around. Some small motor shops/machine shops have it in barrels that they will sell. I get mine at a performace shop that doesn't advertise having it. You have to just ask. I bet you'll be shocked who has it.

Just like Josh said, you pay for the name. It sure is pricey for sure. Good fuel, but pricey. CAM2 will get the job donje for sure. I am very pleased with it.

I agree with TeamRealTree about the AVGas. I worked in an airport for years as a GSE mechanic and its all we ran in the vehicles and caused alot of maintenance issues. There are alot of chemicals in avgas that were not aware of to help the fuel stay stable at high altitudes. Also, back in my boating days, I knew alot of guys who ran it in there outboards with less than desireable results. Were talkin about serious little race boats also, not some johnny fisherman rig.

james