Not running right after rebuild

Hey, what's up? So, I rebuilt the top end on my 01 Banshee, and I'm playing with the carbs trying to set them up, and I can't set the idle for shit. Also, the bike seems like its running really really hot, and it just doesnt rev right.

I have 28mm Kehins and at first, the pilots were way way too fat, I went down a couple sizes, and now I think they are right, but I cant get the bike to idle for shit, no matter how much I play around with the slides or the mixture scerws.

Also, if you rev the bike up, it won't come down sometimes, but the slides dfinatly arent sticking. And now the exhaust feels really weird out of the left side, more smoke and it puffs like. I'm thinking maybe pull the head and make sure the rings are ok.

But, if anyone has info on what I'm doing wrong, it would be greatly appreciated, like I said, the bike sems to run really hot too, it doesnt overflow the rad unless it idles for a long time, or revs too much while idling though.

Hey, what's up? thanks for the suggestions, I did a leakdown test with the RB racing kit I ordered a while back,, help 6 psi steady for 10 minutes before I took it off, so I don't think I have an air leak.

I also took off the raditor, hoses, and water pump, no clogs in any of the lines, the water pump moves when the kicker turns the engine over, and it doesnt look bad oranything(its a billet impeller anyway). The bike has a cool head(22cc domes), and oversized rad, so it should have no problem staying cool. The engine is mostly stock with a Nology coil, +4 timing, and pipes.

I tried to start it up after taking it apart, and same thing, it gets really hot really quick at idle. Takes about 2 minutes before the rad is too hot to touch, and then 5 minutes before the overflow starts. It runs ok, but just gets way too hot. I run 28mm Keihins, 42 pilot, not sure what size mains, but CPW set them up for me for my bike, and other people here running the 28mm Keihins had almost identical settings.

Any advice would really be appreciated, I'm kinda lost as to where to go, maybe pull the head and make sure everything looks ok inside there. I'm thinking maybe its something easy that I missed.

I would look into bigger mains. It definatly sounds like its running lean how its heating up then reving. Also just to be safe spray some carb cleaner around your intakes all around them and see if it revs. Also to get it to idel could be a jetting problem but start with one turn out on each side then quarter turns from there.

Edited by Washburn

Hey, what's up dude!!! Long time no see. I know theres no leaks from the leakdown test, and I wouldnt think the mains would affect it all that much at idle. I'm a little lost on this one, I was thinking 2 things:

I have an OS rad, and I tried to put 2.5 liters in it, as stated it clymes, and it maybe took 1.5 liters (kind weird, thats only like 60% of the total amount). But I'm thinking maybe even at that I overfilled it.

Or, maybe something in the carbs, I think I'm gonna try putting the stockers back on, but I would be a little pissed because I paid over $200 for these 28mm from CPW, and the guy on the phone told me they would be set up pretty damn close. It's not like I'm running a ton of mods, pretty starightfoward setup.

If anyone has any input hit me up. Also, about how far do you guys fill your OS rads? Should the top of the inner core be above or below the water line?

The rad was damn near full, top of the cores anyway. Jetting for the carbs is:

140 Main

42 pilots

Needle is on the middle clip, or 3rd if it has 5 slots, can't remember, and its a 46jjh if I remember right

The position of the idle screw varies depending on how hot the bike gets, I'm guessing it is a mixture screw? I tried to jet the bike with 48 pilots at first, but same deal, got real hot real quick, and it was spitting oil out of the pipes, so I went down to a 42. Stopped spitting oil, but still runs really hot.

I think I'm pretty close on the jetting, the idle screw might be messing me up a little. I've never seen a bike overheat in 5 minutes of idling though, I would think it would be a bigger, eaiser problem to spot, unless I'm just way way off on the jetting.

Whats up Jay, so you dident get to test them elkas out yet?

Jetting is a huge issue thats my guess, and like Jbooker said dont just give up on them. Im running a 48 piolet and a 195 main in my 35pwk single setup clip in the middel and its running perfect but it sure dident come that way. Another reason this could be happening is your piolet may be cloged. Get some good carb cleaner and try not to soak the rubber parts.

42 pilot is kind of on the small side. Most people run 45 or 48's with keihins. 150-158 mains.

the there should be a small bras screw on the same side as the choak back by where the filters clamp on. that is the Air Screw. You use that to adjust the mixture at an Idle.

The Idle speed adjustmet is the scew on the other side. It points upward and lifts the slides up a little.

I dont know what the problem with the overheating would be other than jetting. With an Oversized radiator you should be able to let that thing idle all day. Breaking them in they will run a hair warmer due to the fact that there is more friction. (cross hatching in the cylinder making it rougher).

42 pilot is kind of on the small side. Most people run 45 or 48's with keihins. 150-158 mains.

the there should be a small bras screw on the same side as the choak back by where the filters clamp on. that is the Air Screw. You use that to adjust the mixture at an Idle.

The Idle speed adjustmet is the scew on the other side. It points upward and lifts the slides up a little.

I dont know what the problem with the overheating would be other than jetting. With an Oversized radiator you should be able to let that thing idle all day. Breaking them in they will run a hair warmer due to the fact that there is more friction. (cross hatching in the cylinder making it rougher). DITTO, bigger pilots

Yeah, I guess now that you guys mention it, it HAS to be the jetting. Like I said, the engine is tighter then a schoolgirl, with 6 psi for 10 min. theres no way it could be an air leak, and the coolant system works 100%, the coolant looked clean as hell when I drained it too.

I'll try and go back to 48s, I'll most likely have to pick up 46s, because the 48s seemed to run really rich, like I said, I had oil out of the exhaust, and the air screws had to be all the way out for it to run. When I set up my carbs I use the carb synch tool, so I have to leave the air box off, its possible I let it run too long like that and thats maybe what overheated it. I just hate to be messing around and overheating a brand new motor before its even broken in.

Anybody else running 28s? What size pilots are you guys using?