Black OOZE

My 97 sat for about a month since I rode it last. I adjusted the clutch and drained the fluids, refilled them and then it wouldn't start!

I kicked it til' the arch in my foot was beat up and pushed it around the block. Finally it started, but it is running like sh!t for some reason. Won't go into the power band easy and is idleling really high.

I had it running for about 20 minutes and it would keep creeping up the RPM. Then when I parked it a lot of black goop oozing out the pipes....

I'm not sure why it wouldn't start to begin with, and I think I flooded the crap out of it.

Any ideas?

1) I don't know how to adjust the idle. (I'm used to 4 strokes)

2) I've seen two aluminum screws by the air intake wich don't look alligned... ??? (What are they for? Air intake?)

3) Do I need to clean out my pipes?

4) What do you do to keep it starting up in the first 1-4 kicks?

Clean and sync the carbs and make sure the trottle cable isn't in a bind. If it ran fine a month ago, it should now as well. Make sure the choke tube is in place also.

Where is the choke tube? Do you think it came loose?

My 97 sat for about a month since I rode it last. I adjusted the clutch and drained the fluids, refilled them and then it wouldn't start!

I kicked it til' the arch in my foot was beat up and pushed it around the block. Finally it started, but it is running like sh!t for some reason. Won't go into the power band easy and is idleling really high.

I had it running for about 20 minutes and it would keep creeping up the RPM. Then when I parked it a lot of black goop oozing out the pipes....

I'm not sure why it wouldn't start to begin with, and I think I flooded the crap out of it.

Any ideas?

1) I don't know how to adjust the idle. (I'm used to 4 strokes)

2) I've seen two aluminum screws by the air intake wich don't look alligned... ??? (What are they for? Air intake?)

3) Do I need to clean out my pipes?

4) What do you do to keep it starting up in the first 1-4 kicks?

Try cleaning your carbs really good first. If you left it sit with gas in the carbs the oil will separate from the gas, or the gas will evaporate and leave the oil and begin to gum things up. It happens to me sometimes when I leave it sit for a few weeks.

The black goop coming out your pipes is oil. You are probably really rich. If it was cooler out the last time you rode it and it's warmer now by 15-20 degrees F you may need to drop your main jet a size to lean it out. Only good way to tell is to do a plug chop and see where you are at.

Try cleaning your carbs really good first. If you left it sit with gas in the carbs the oil will separate from the gas, or the gas will evaporate and leave the oil and begin to gum things up. It happens to me sometimes when I leave it sit for a few weeks.

When your done riding turn the fuel petcock off and let it run off the gas out of the carbs until it dies. That is what I do after im done riding for the day.

When your done riding turn the fuel petcock off and let it run off the gas out of the carbs until it dies. That is what I do after im done riding for the day.

I forgot to add that. I don't usually do it until it dies but let it burn out most of the fuel. Sometimes I still just get gummed up. Nothing 15 minutes and a can of carb cleaner can't easily fix.

I forgot to add that. I don't usually do it until it dies but let it burn out most of the fuel. Sometimes I still just get gummed up. Nothing 15 minutes and a can of carb cleaner can't easily fix.

i wouldnt even go that far. i'd much rather have gummed up carbs then risking running out the gas untill it dies! but then agian mine dont sit too long

it wont hurt anything to burn the gas out would it?

yea 2 stokes get there oil from the gas therefor no gas = no oil = metal on metal. it may happen sometimes if ya forget to put peacock on reserve but repeatidly isnt a good idea. if need be just go start the shee couple times a week even if its just 5 mins.

yea 2 stokes get there oil from the gas therefor no gas = no oil = metal on metal. it may happen sometimes if ya forget to put peacock on reserve but repeatidly isnt a good idea. if need be just go start the shee couple times a week even if its just 5 mins.

Okay, I sprayed the carb cleaner and it got it running as good as before. But I noticed only one float is moving.... WTF

The cable looks good and I have stock TORS still. I can move the float with a screwdriver and it feels as good as the other one but it just doesn't move by pulling the throttle!

Any ideas?

Okay, I sprayed the carb cleaner and it got it running as good as before. But I noticed only one float is moving.... WTF

The cable looks good and I have stock TORS still. I can move the float with a screwdriver and it feels as good as the other one but it just doesn't move by pulling the throttle!

Any ideas?

Float or slide?

Float or slide?

..... I thought it was the Float... The cylinder that you see by looking in the carb from the air box. When I push the throttle it moves up on the right side but not the left.