Complete coolant drain

Hey guys, I'm planning on draining the coolant and wanting to know if anybody can give any tips on COMPLETELY draining it. I'm wanting to put in a fresh mix of distilled water/coolant.

Now when I installed my coolhead, I just removed the bottom radiator hose and the bolts on the side of the cylinders.... but I don't think that fully drained the system, plus theres the bottle behind the airbox.

If anybody has any tips on how I can go about doing this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jamie

Thanks for the reply. I installed a coolhead awhile back, and when I went to get some distilled water they didn't have any, so I got the spring water not thinking it mattered. Well, I just found out that that wasn't the best thing, so I'm wanting to drain and get rid of all of it and replace it with the right water/coolant mix.

Does the resevoir bottle have circulated coolant in it? I know that every now and then it shows a little low and I add some to it. It can be completely removed?

I blew compressed air into random holes in teh system with all the bolts out, seemed to work good.

Thanks, I don't have a compressor, but my Father in law will probably let me use his. That sounds like it would work good. I appreciate the tip.

Thanks for the reply. I installed a coolhead awhile back, and when I went to get some distilled water they didn't have any, so I got the spring water not thinking it mattered. Well, I just found out that that wasn't the best thing, so I'm wanting to drain and get rid of all of it and replace it with the right water/coolant mix.

Does the resevoir bottle have circulated coolant in it? I know that every now and then it shows a little low and I add some to it. It can be completely removed?

yes you can remove it. just run the hose, that is fastend to the nipple on the back

of the radiator on the inlet, down to the bottom of your frame.

i have ran my banshee like this. Just keep an eye on your coolant level in the radiator.

get you 2 gallons of distilled water. Drain the coolant, fill it back up with distilled water and run it for a little while. Repate this one more time. Then all the coolant is flushed out. You can flush the cooling system 2 times with one gallon of water. If you wanted to remove the build up get a bottle of Zerex Radiator Super Cleaner. It remove the build up pretty good. I would just run water and the cleaner for a day of riding. Give it a chance to work.

josh

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/pr....asp?product=15

That sounds like a great idea, I haven't had a chance to do it yet today because I've had a few things come up. (holiday related) I will do that tomorrow, that should get it all out for sure. I only got 1 gallon of distilled last night so I'll go ahead and pick up another one.

I actually don't think it should have much build-up because I haven't put a whole lot of run time on it since adding the spring-water, so hopefully I shouldn't need the cleaner. Thanks alot for the suggestion, I'll do that tomorrow afternoon.

If you're anal about getting all the coolant out, take the water pump plate off (be sure to buy a new gasket first) and remove both coolant drain screws on the side of the cylinders. That should drain 99% of the coolant out. To make things easier in the future so you don't have to keep buying gaskets you can pick this up:

EZ%20DRAIN-COVER-NEW.jpg

That has that little black drain screw on the bottom so you don't have to take the whole plate off and waste a gasket.

Edited by tgbanshee

If you're anal about getting all the coolant out, take the water pump plate off (be sure to buy a new gasket first) and remove both coolant drain screws on the side of the cylinders. That should drain 99% of the coolant out. To make things easier in the future so you don't have to keep buying gaskets you can pick this up:

EZ%20DRAIN-COVER-NEW.jpg

That has that little black drain screw on the bottom so you don't have to take the whole plate off and waste a gasket.

That's pretty cool. Looks like a very quick and efficiant way to drain the fluid.