Whats the standard running temp?

Ive been running at about 200 wide open and roughly 225 on trails. If it gets to 230 I let it cool. Recently ive heard anything over 200 was bad. My cooling system works as it should and I run engine ice. Maybe +5 timing is to much? I already have one in line cooler. Any ideas on how to bring the temp down?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

165 is actually on the cool side IMO.. I ususally see 175-185 riding and climbing last weekend I was hittin 210 and shuttin her down at 220.. Even at that It wasn't boiling the coolant like I have seen some do.. I have also seen bikes at 240 and as I remember they were boiling and I would avoid that at as much as possible...

I run a cool head, engine ice, and a billet impeller.. You push hard enough with no air movin its gonna heat up reguardless..

RIPPEN

Even with a billet impeller I was running about 220* on a 90* day on the trails. They will run hot if you don't get enough air through the radiator regardless of your pump impellar. When it warms up on me I try run it at a steady pace to cool it down. If you don't have that option, shut her down for a couple minutes. 220* is pushin' it IMO. I would not try to exceed that temp.

there is a common misconception tat the colder your motor runs the better. This is false! Every motor has a specific temp that it will produce the max power without sacrificing the motor. There are many differant factors to detirmen what temp your specific motor should be ran at but 200 will not hurt anything.

there is a common misconception tat the colder your motor runs the better. This is false! Every motor has a specific temp that it will produce the max power without sacrificing the motor. There are many differant factors to detirmen what temp your specific motor should be ran at but 200 will not hurt anything.

what is engine ice?

Word

I try to jet or do plug chops at 190-200 deg. With the air temp being around 70-80 deg. When my motor gets up to 215-220 it richens up and is a dawg. It still runs might just spudder a little but I know it isnt like it should.

The key is to try to jet your bike at the conditions that you ride in. I am normally in the 190 to 200 deg coolant temp with air temp at 80.

I absolutly wouldnt run my motor over 230 That is over heating.

what is engine ice?

It's a kind of antifreeze

its not really an anti-freeze. It is a coolant with anti-freezing capabilities. There is actually a differance.

The green anti-freeze is not a "coolant" it is exactly as the name calls it, anti-freeze. Its designed to keep your water from freezing so you dont crack your radiator or block in cold climates.

A coolant is also just as the name indicates. It's designed to lower the operating temps.

Some coolants have anti-freezing properties (Engine Ice) but not all do (Water Wetter)

adding the coolant also raises the boiling point of the water. so you arent boiling at 212, also the pressure of of the system also raises the boiling point. An LT1 F-body runs at well above 210 for some stupid reason GM thought that was fine, the high fans come on at 230 LOL but as long as you arent boiling and not too hot to hurt the motor, id say around 215-220 is borderline, too hot. 230 only for a VERY short time.

Do you guys notice any performance changes when it gets hot? I think I am having heating issues but I am not boiling over.

But after a 15 minute ride or so my bottom end just goes to shit. It sputters and doesnt have much power but my topend is fine. It acts like it is running pig rich on the bottom but it doesnt start until I have been riding for awhile, so I am pretty sure its not the jetting.