The early signs of piston slap

I think one of my bores are ovaled and im getting very early signs of piston slap. How do i know? well Im getting a tick until it warms up and the whole metal expans theroy cures it but how long can that last? lol. If anyone else has had piston slap before tell about what you heard, how it ran, ect.... might help. :beer:

I think one of my bores are ovaled and im getting very early signs of piston slap. How do i know? well Im getting a tick until it warms up and the whole metal expans theroy cures it but how long can that last? lol. If anyone else has had piston slap before tell about what you heard, how it ran, ect.... might help. :beer:

Most LS1 camaros/vettes/firebirds come from the factory with piston slap...And they'll go for 150k miles without any issues. My firebird sounds horrible until it gets warmed up(and then it mostly goes away). The car still makes all the power it did from the factory(13.0 with just a catback.stock auto trans/ 97k miles).

Just warm the motor up well before you go beat on it and it shouldn't be an issue for quite a while. I don't think you'll have any performance loss until the piston/wall tolerances open up too much and you start to lose compression.

Piston Slap in a 2 stoke is a good way to get a broken skirt. I bet your firebird doesnt turn 10,000 RPM.

This is why you should check the compression a couple times a year. Write it down in a book some where. That way you have all your compression readings starting from when it was a new top end. You can compair your current readings and tell when it is time for a new top end.

josh

Piston Slap in a 2 stoke is a good way to get a broken skirt. I bet your firebird doesnt turn 10,000 RPM.

This is why you should check the compression a couple times a year. Write it down in a book some where. That way you have all your compression readings starting from when it was a new top end. You can compair your current readings and tell when it is time for a new top end.

josh

Nope, 6500.

But if the motor warms up and the piston slap goes away, it shouldn't cause any problems. If you beat on it while it's still cold, then sure.

my motor blew acouple of months ago ..piston skirt snapped off... started it in feb (cold) i could hear a tick noise when it was cold, reved it to see where it was coming from... then i heard it go !!! piston flying out the pipes, it was to late.. id take it apart and mic it !!