Who has a Vapor speedo/tach?

NN2

Like said I am on my 3rd one, mine had the same problem, they sent me a new computer and it was all over. I had it for 2 years now, had a lot of issues with it but its fixed now, my internal batt just lasted a year. Make sure you connect the power wire After the regulator and everything is sorted and yes, run "R" spark plugs

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like said I am on my 3rd one, mine had the same problem, they sent me a new computer and it was all over. I had it for 2 years now, had a lot of issues with it but its fixed now, my internal batt just lasted a year. Make sure you connect the power wire After the regulator and everything is sorted and yes, run "R" spark plugs

That is another thing. I am running on Resistor Plugs. B8ES's

No B8ES same plug as the BR8ES only non resistor. The 2001 and up banshee says br8es. I just run them to get a little hoter spark by not having a resistor.

Sorry missed understand you, I thought you were saying that the Resister plugs are the B8ES..

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry missed understand you, I thought you were saying that the Resister plugs are the B8ES..

Well I think I have the problem solved, as recomended by 2strokespirit. I put in some BR8EIX (Resistor and Iridium) plugs I had laying around. It quit reseting on me. I tried the 9 volt first and it would still reset. I left the 9 volt hooked up and unpluged the tach wire. I was still getting an RPM reading with those Non Resistor B8ES's.

I put a the BR8EIX's in fired it up with the tach unhooked and there was no RPM reading like there SHOULDNT have been. Hooked the tach wire back up reved it a couple of times and it didnt drop out on me. I also have a more stable rpm reading at Idle as well.

Those B8ES's must make a lot of interfearance to show up as a tach reaing with the wire unpluged. You should be albe to run the standard BR8ES too. I just happen to have a couple Iridium plugs laying around.

josh

Well I think I have the problem solved, as recomended by 2strokespirit. I put in some BR8EIX (Resistor and Iridium) plugs I had laying around. It quit reseting on me. I tried the 9 volt first and it would still reset. I left the 9 volt hooked up and unpluged the tach wire. I was still getting an RPM reading with those Non Resistor B8ES's.

I put a the BR8EIX's in fired it up with the tach unhooked and there was no RPM reading like there SHOULDNT have been. Hooked the tach wire back up reved it a couple of times and it didnt drop out on me. I also have a more stable rpm reading at Idle as well.

Those B8ES's must make a lot of interfearance to show up as a tach reaing with the wire unpluged. You should be albe to run the standard BR8ES too. I just happen to have a couple Iridium plugs laying around.

josh

thats wierd, lol.

btw, the pic in your sig is funny, haha

Thanks for the pic coments'

I didnt try running the Resistor plugs with the vaport hooked up to the stator. I already had it hooked to a 9v and swaping the plugs was the last resort. It cleared the problem up so I am just going to leave it.

josh

• 4 months later...

i would recomend a standard in-line noise filter used for radios & stereos. it's like a ferrite choke, but better. instead of running a loop through it, it has a wire wrapped around a ferrite core. if you have an old 2 or 3 way speaker layin around, you can use the coil of of it. or if you have a cross-over (the kind you wire to the speaker wires not rca's) wire it to the sub output, and the power to the input, but the noise filters are cheap, small, and @ every radio shack

wow, just realized how old that thread is

Yes i realize this is an old thread, but thought I'd add my .02. I tried to put a Vapor on my Banshee back in January and had this same problem. I was running resistor plugs, I tried the 9V trick, I unhooked the power wire, etc. However, mine would only do it when the bike was cold- before it would display the temperature. I took the bike to Trail Tech and they said they had never had this problem, but they did replace the temp sensor, no charge, and sent me on my way. I swapped the sensor at home, but still had the problem. So, back to Trail Tech the bike went. They tried modifying the battery holder, the tried another Vapor unit, changing the way it was sensing RPM, anything and everything their guys could think of. Finally, I said I could live without the tach, so they gave me a Vector unit. It works perfectly and I have it wired into the voltage regulator wire. I ended up leaving Trail Tech with my Vapor unit, the new Vector unit, their wiring terminal kit and crimpers and a complete spare set of sensors and wires. I'm going to try the Vapor on my wife's Banshee eventually. I really like the Vector, trying to read the tach on the Vapor was to hard when you're riding, and I am happy with the way Trail Tech backed up their product.

Yes i realize this is an old thread, but thought I'd add my .02. I tried to put a Vapor on my Banshee back in January and had this same problem. I was running resistor plugs, I tried the 9V trick, I unhooked the power wire, etc. However, mine would only do it when the bike was cold- before it would display the temperature. I took the bike to Trail Tech and they said they had never had this problem, but they did replace the temp sensor, no charge, and sent me on my way. I swapped the sensor at home, but still had the problem. So, back to Trail Tech the bike went. They tried modifying the battery holder, the tried another Vapor unit, changing the way it was sensing RPM, anything and everything their guys could think of. Finally, I said I could live without the tach, so they gave me a Vector unit. It works perfectly and I have it wired into the voltage regulator wire. I ended up leaving Trail Tech with my Vapor unit, the new Vector unit, their wiring terminal kit and crimpers and a complete spare set of sensors and wires. I'm going to try the Vapor on my wife's Banshee eventually. I really like the Vector, trying to read the tach on the Vapor was to hard when you're riding, and I am happy with the way Trail Tech backed up their product.

any chance you'd let me try it out? :biggrin: