Coolant Leak From Cool Head

TRO73

Hi Just installed my coolhead yesterday and went for a short ride and noticed a few drips of antifreeze coming from in between the 2 sections of the coolhead in the front where the exhaust comes in...Am I going to have to take it all off or will the coolhad and orings seat themself"since it's new"....All o my o rings looked like they were in place and torqued it down 1/2 turns at a time 1 to 10 sequence....Any help would be great.

Tony

Did you get all the gasket residue from the cylinder mating surface?

I scraped everything off and sanded....but it looks like its leaking in beween the 2 cool head sections...The main oring that ran around the first section I ran my finger over it and it looked like it was in place?

I scraped everything off and sanded....but it looks like its leaking in beween the 2 cool head sections...The main oring that ran around the first section I ran my finger over it and it looked like it was in place?

Hey guys I have taken my cool head off 3 times and it still has a few drips of antifreeze each time in different spots...2nd time I did pinch a o ring...I replaced it for a 3d time....I ordered a new set of o rings, rescraped the cylinder surface made sure the o rings were in place and added the rtv to the threads went for a ride and I still see a drip or two....Have No Idea? Any Input would be great.

Tony

Edited by TRO73

I'm no expert here but I just went through the same thing and you should check some basic stuff. Are the cool head studs installed in the right spots so you can get the proper torque before the head bolts run out of thread on the stud? The two front studs are longer than the rest and if you put them in the wrong spot you'll have a problem.

Are there any burrs on the coolhead that might be keeping the orings from sealing properly? That was my problem and I just took a small hand file and de-burred the area of the head that was damaged.

Good luck, this can be a very frustrating problem...

james

Almost all coolheads are notorious for doing that at some point or another. Just take the nut off and put a dab of silicon gasket maker on the bottom of the nut and the threads and reinstall the nut...problem fixed. Most of the new heads or at least the noss heads that i sell come with acorn nuts and copper washers to fix this problem.