spark arrestor mesh

Hey guys, have a question. I have some CPI inframes and am heading to SL in two weeks. DNR are turning more into Natzi's all the time. I have heard that the trinity end caps fit on the CPI silencers but I dont have the money for that. And then of course there are sparkys but I cant really afford that. I found this right up:

http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/03511304/03511304.htm#How

How Spark Arresters Work

Spark arresters work on the principle of trapping or pulverizing carbon particles that have a diameter greater than 0.023 in. Although they are not always 100 percent effective, a properly installed and maintained spark arrester will significantly reduce the risk of fire. The most common type of spark arrester will trap carbon particles in the exhaust system. It works by screening the larger carbon particles out of the exhaust. Through centrifugal force, the heavier carbon particles are thrown against the inside walls of the arrester and directed into a trap. The most common screening types use a screen or a disc. In a disc-type design, additional discs can be added to reduce backpressure and increase exhaust flow.

Us gov says the hole in the mesh has to be .023 inches or smaller to be legal. Technically could we find the same screen and just make our own?

I mean I have bought stainless screen and screwed in into the end cap so the zip tie doesnt go through, but now the DNR must have had a "spark arrester screen class 101" and they just look at it and laugh.

Any thoughts?

I tried your idea and got denied my second time through. I tried the next day, and the first time through got denied. You need to have the us forestry approval somewhere. I want to say you can get a kit w/forestry sticker from Duncan(cheapest way I know of). I am sure someone who knows will chime in.

I think I remember reading on here before that Trinity also sells a screen kit that comes with the usfs approved sticker.

I looked on their site, but couldnt find them, may have to call them.

I think I remember reading on here before that Trinity also sells a screen kit that comes with the usfs approved sticker.

I looked on their site, but couldnt find them, may have to call them.

Blue, what kind of pipes are those? Do they have a spark arrestor?

In order to make trinity's spark arrestor fit cpi's you will need to drill the center core hole out from 1in to 1 1/8 in. I would highly sugest doing it with a drill press because the sides get kindof thin. I also cut my silencer body down so the spark arrestors wernt haing clear out the back.

josh

CPISilencer6.jpg

CPISilencer5.jpg

CPISilencer4.jpg

In order to make trinity's spark arrestor fit cpi's you will need to drill the center core hole out from 1in to 1 1/8 in. I would highly sugest doing it with a drill press because the sides get kindof thin. I also cut my silencer body down so the spark arrestors wernt haing clear out the back.

josh

WOW, those look nice. that would be the way to go if I had time and money. maybe some day.

Davevato, my pipes are shearers, I dont have spark arrestors on in the picture, but I machined end caps for the silencers to mount a toomey spark arrested hush kit on. That way they cant hassle me about spark arrestor or noise.

Davevato, my pipes are shearers, I dont have spark arrestors on in the picture, but I machined end caps for the silencers to mount a toomey spark arrested hush kit on. That way they cant hassle me about spark arrestor or noise.

alba has the kits with 1 screen and one "usfs approved spark arrestor" sticker.

when i got mine for my t5 a year or so ago they were 15.00 per kit.

had to cut the screens down a lil and it made the end caps a tight fit but they worked and i got through everytime.

Dan

alba has the kits with 1 screen and one "usfs approved spark arrestor" sticker.

when i got mine for my t5 a year or so ago they were 15.00 per kit.

had to cut the screens down a lil and it made the end caps a tight fit but they worked and i got through everytime.

Dan

Good call, I called Alba yesterday and they wanted me to give them a size, I needed to mesasure and call them back. For the 1 screen kit you are talking about was there a size?

Good call, I called Alba yesterday and they wanted me to give them a size, I needed to mesasure and call them back. For the 1 screen kit you are talking about was there a size?

I got a extra kit if you want it. I'll take $15 shipped for it. I used one kit to do 2 shearer silencers.

Just let me know.

putting it in a truck seems to work well, alothough its totally cheating and i have no idea why they let it happen. as to making your own..tried that, worked once, but never after that. it does have to say us forestry approved.

i ahve tried several ways to save money, but in the long run it was cheaper and easier to just buy the right ones up front.

i tried the add on sparkys too, and they lasted bout 2 seasons, b4 they started to fall off, and added to much weight to the stock silencers and messed them up too.

i know the right way is expensive, but i wasted so much more time and money trying other things.

i hope you can learn from my mistakes.

putting it in a truck seems to work well, alothough its totally cheating and i have no idea why they let it happen. as to making your own..tried that, worked once, but never after that. it does have to say us forestry approved.

i ahve tried several ways to save money, but in the long run it was cheaper and easier to just buy the right ones up front.

i tried the add on sparkys too, and they lasted bout 2 seasons, b4 they started to fall off, and added to much weight to the stock silencers and messed them up too.

i know the right way is expensive, but i wasted so much more time and money trying other things.

i hope you can learn from my mistakes.

Well I got the alba screen kit from fouled out and cut it to fit, crammed the end of the CPI's back on, broke/stripped/cross threaded the end cap screws back in and it seems to look solid. I am sure they will blow out and the only way I will be able to get new screen on is with a hax saw and a tig welder. I agree bronco, the right way is always better. I am going to save up and do what jbooker did with the trinity end caps, those look amazing!!