Porting and mods

ok so I put up a question about what mods should i do first and those are great suggestions and i noted them, however i want i little more power than bolt -ons, and my engine is out of my bnashee rite now cuz i was getting the chassis painted black, I need to get higher compression but i want to keep the stock look on the heads so can i have them milled and buy higher compression pistons or do i either buy longer rods or buy a new head with smaller domes. My other question is since i want a little more power since it already out should i have it ported or should i just save that for later, im on a budget so if i have to do a bunch of stuff when i port it i dont want that but can i port it then just raise the compression with the heads and be ok until i can afford bigger carbs and pipes?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

ok so I put up a question about what mods should i do first and those are great suggestions and i noted them, however i want i little more power than bolt -ons, and my engine is out of my bnashee rite now cuz i was getting the chassis painted black, I need to get higher compression but i want to keep the stock look on the heads so can i have them milled and buy higher compression pistons or do i either buy longer rods or buy a new head with smaller domes. My other question is since i want a little more power since it already out should i have it ported or should i just save that for later, im on a budget so if i have to do a bunch of stuff when i port it i dont want that but can i port it then just raise the compression with the heads and be ok until i can afford bigger carbs and pipes?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Just milling the head, installing a set of wiseco racing pistons and putting k&n air filters on can really make a noticable difference, but make sure to re-jet after the work is finished!

Just milling the head, installing a set of wiseco racing pistons and putting k&n air filters on can really make a noticable difference, but make sure to re-jet after the work is finished!

so what should i have them milled too? and will that raise my compression. Its already low and i have to put my hand over the air box cover to start it so i need to raise the compression, but i also was wondering if i should have it morted while the engine is out

LOLOLOL racing pistons, that's funny.

It sounds like you need a rebuild. Sorry but putting a head on or milling yours is not the answer to getting higher compression if it's wore slap out.

It sounds like you need a rebuild. Sorry but putting a head on or milling yours is not the answer to getting higher compression if it's wore slap out.

What I meant was get oversized pistons and have it bored, and as far as the milling goes I would take it to a good machine shop and have them measure how much can safely be taken off without hitting pistons against the head.

well yeah i plan on doing a full gasket change and new rings but basically imma have like $dollars this week and i want to know the best place to put it, i want to eventually maybe do some porting but i wanna get higher compression like buying new heads but i wanted to keep it looking stock so i was tryin to see if i could mill the stock heads and get like high compression pistons or if i should just put the motor back in and just start with heads and pipes and simple bolt-ons. I really wanna get it put back together and ride so if milling the head and i can get high comp pistons then i will wait a week and send it to duncan racing and gettin it milled and ported and get pistons but if i cant get pistons and mill the head im just gonna port it and order heads later on

Sounds to me like there is an issue with the carbs, putting your hand over the intake will have the same effect as the choke. I would check your compression with a guage to be certain if you think it is low. Wisecos are forged instead of cast like the OEM pistons, and they are a bit lighter...but, I wouldn't venture to say there is a huge noticable power increase with them. You can have your head milled, only go .020" unless the machinist knows how to rechamber it. If you go much further your squish band will be far too tight. Before you go spending a lot on mods you need to decide what style of riding you do most ie:trails, drags ect. This will help us to tell you what mods and port type will suit your style the best.

you can cut the head at least .030" without rechambering it, i think i did mine .040" and it was still good, but you have to manually check the clearance between the piston and head. i have a stock head that is cut .100" and redomed on mine now instead of an aftermarket head. no blown o rings and a sleeper look. if you have low compression because of a worn topend you need to fix that first.