33 PWK's

Dinner

Hey Guys,

Being as I am running new carbs this year, 33 PWK's I'm not used to the jetting specs of Keihin's.

Currently I am running a 160 Main and 55 Pilot, 6.0 Cut away and CGL Needle. My builder, Bob, at RB in Michigan recommended a CGM Needle. I will be getting 155 Mains, but since my local shop didn't have any, I went with 160's for now and well my top end is kinda poopy at the moment, won't rev out :down:

Question is, will an M needle be thicker in diameter than my current L needle? Right now I have needle clip on the lowest spot possible(richest spot) because anywhere else the motor cuts out due to lack of fuel. In my mind I think I should get a smaller diameter needle because even with 160 mains, I'm on the lowest clip, with 155's I might be cutting the engine out again :ermm:

Question is, will an M needle be thicker in diameter than my current L needle? Right now I have needle clip on the lowest spot possible(richest spot) because anywhere else the motor cuts out due to lack of fuel. In my mind I think I should get a smaller diameter needle because even with 160 mains, I'm on the lowest clip, with 155's I might be cutting the engine out again :ermm:

Take a look at this. :thumbsup: A little hard to read, sorry.

Middle leter is length. C is 36.35, E is 38.15, G is 39.95

Since your maxed out on needle clip postion and you still need it richer you need a shorter needle. One with E being the middle letter.

90% of people running PWK33's and PWK35's run CEL Needles. DEK needles work great in the older PJ34mm carbs.

The 160 mains are probaby to rich. Most people run 150-155 range.

Pilots are plenty rich too. 48's would be better.

Try this setup.

Main 155

Needle CEL Middle Clip

48 Pilot Jet

Air screw 2 turns out.

This is the Keihin Jetting BIBLE

DRI Keihin Jetting Tech Sheet LINK

josh

Ya, the cel neddle is more than likely the way to go, 155 to 152 main, 48-50 pilot. YOu need to give a little more info like what pipes you are running and any port work, elevation, that would help us get you closer. the above jets are for your average stock banshee with pipes and filter.

Hmm, my carbs came with 52 pilots. Do you think I would be better off running those, over the 55's?

1000ft

20 degrees Celsius

Aggressive Dune Port

33 PWK's

K&N Pods

Pro Circuit Pipes

Boyesen Reeds with ported stock cages

140ish PSI for compression

Stock Timing

112 Octane

I'm def going to go lower on the main and try out a 155. I will also get some CEL needles and see how they treat me.

Guys I won't be riding it much until I get better mains and a richer needle...don't want to blow it up :ermm:

I would deffinatly go back to the 52's since you have them. Once you get the CEL needles your probably going to need to drop down to a 48. 55's might feel better now since you have a lean needle.

You should get some jets from dennis kirk they sell 5 Keihin Mains 160,158,155,152,150 for 23 bucks. Get 2 kits and you will have all the mains you should ever need.

Keihin Jet Pack from Dennis Kirk LINK

48 Pilots LINK

I would deffinatly go back to the 52's since you have them. Once you get the CEL needles your probably going to need to drop down to a 48. 55's might feel better now since you have a lean needle.

You should get some jets from dennis kirk they sell 5 Keihin Mains 160,158,155,152,150 for 23 bucks. Get 2 kits and you will have all the mains you should ever need.

Keihin Jet Pack from Dennis Kirk LINK

48 Pilots LINK

Thats alittle high priced, Craig give me a ring this morning and i can fire out some jets/needles for you today.

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=73

Thanks Guys, really appreciate it :thumbsup:

Jeff is giving me a call later this afternoon so I will get some assorted jets from him. Figure I'll get some 150-155 Mains, 48-50 Pilot...being as I already have 52's. And a couple CEL Needles.

I'm kinda worried right now though, when I was out puttin' around jetting it, when my needle was giving me a hard time shee was cutting out pretty bad in 1-4 throttle, or when you snapped the throttle. Just worried that I might have hurt the new engine...but then again top ends are cheap. Plugs are very brown though since my pilot and main are rich, so maybe nothing is hurt :ohmy:

If you get the jets from Jeff, might as well get Metal Idle Screws, Taller Carb top adjusters, EZ pull slide springs. The soft springs are nice. :thumbsup:

Is there much difference between the Metal Idle screws and the stock plastics ones?

And what about Taller Carb Top Adjusters? What do they do?

Is there much difference between the Metal Idle screws and the stock plastics ones?

And what about Taller Carb Top Adjusters? What do they do?

I am sure the plastic ones work, I just like to have a metal screw.

The taller carb adjusters allow you to take more slack out of the cable. Some times the carbs wont opean all the way. You might not need them on a pair of 33's. I put them on mine though.

Do you have a Sync tool. Those work great for setting up the carbs.

Plastic ones work fine, but think about this...every time you close the throttle, it's hitting that plastic.

Over time, it'll wear, etc.

Metal is a nice alternative. Would it be tops on my charts? no...is it a cheap, nice and easy benefit? Yep...sure is.

Plus, if you remove the plastic all the way for cleaning, etc, the possibility with gorilla paws is there to strip them.

Metal take a real dolt to strip with a lot of force...