2006 banshee 100% stock:(

whats up i am new to this forum, i currently have a 2006 banshee that is totally stock, i was wondering what my best beginning mods would be, i was thinking of buying a kit from alba action its around 600 for pipes filter kit and needle/jets, they have different exhaust options as well wich leavs me baffled of wich direction to go, i live on the east cost in se virginia, lots of trail riding and drag it often, i raced a zuke 400 and stayed side by side spinning like crazy from the start, i have a mildly modded yfz 450 (bolt ons/cam mod)and would like the shee to be around that power level, looking to spend around 1k, thqanks for any info,

whats up i am new to this forum, i currently have a 2006 banshee that is totally stock, i was wondering what my best beginning mods would be, i was thinking of buying a kit from alba action its around 600 for pipes filter kit and needle/jets, they have different exhaust options as well wich leavs me baffled of wich direction to go, i live on the east cost in se virginia, lots of trail riding and drag it often, i raced a zuke 400 and stayed side by side spinning like crazy from the start, i have a mildly modded yfz 450 (bolt ons/cam mod)and would like the shee to be around that power level, looking to spend around 1k, thqanks for any info,

I would steer clear of Alba, they've really gone to crap as a business over the last few years. The first place you'll definitely want to start is with pipes. I'm not exactly an expert on which type of pipe would work best for your style of riding, but if you want something that's good for trail riding, I don't think you'd want to step up to CPI's or Shearers. Toomey T5's would probably be a good choice, they're a really good pipe and you can usually find used sets for a lot cheaper than what you'd spend to get new ones from Alba. From there, you could probably get a cool head, pod filters, an adjustable stator plate, and a set of VF3's and still be under $1000. Another option would be porting, but if you ever want to upgrade to a 4mm stroker crank, you'll want to wait on the porting, as I'm fairly certain that you couldn't go from bone stock to a good 4mil setup for under $1000 (if I'm wrong, someone will correct me on this I'm sure).

Like I said, I could be wrong about what I said above, and if I am I'm sure someone will correct me. If I had a bone stock Banshee and $1000, that's the direction I'd probably go in, though.

EDIT: I'll second fastbanshee's recommendation of Jeff @ F.A.S.T. He has just about everything you'd need to put together a wicked Banshee. Kevin Herr at HJR would be another great source of info, and if you do decide to get your cylinders ported, he'd do top-notch work and have it done quickly.

Edited by HammerShee99

I'd start by removing the snorkle from your air box. Then you need to deicde what type of riding you do. From there you can decide on what kind of pipes you want. Pipes would be #1 on my list followed by advanced timing, cool head or noss head with smaller domes to bump the compression, K&N (some people don't like them but I love them) and maybe a set of reeds. Once you get the bolt ons you'll need to start considering a nice port job to match your style of riding.

but if you want something that's good for trail riding, I don't think you'd want to step up to CPI's or Shearers.

I love CPIs for trails but I also keep the RPMs up. It's nice to have the CPIs because when it's time to line up for a drag race across a field you are ready!

A set of pipes is going to be your first major mod.

Mods like, VForce 3's, Timing Plate, Cool Head, Pod Filters, are what I call Nickle and Dime modds. It takes a few of them to make a dollar.

Pipes and Porting are dollar mods.

Bottom End - Paul Turner Mids

Midragne - DMC's

Midrange to Topend - Toomey T5's

These 2 pipes shouldnt be put on a stock port engine. They need a STRONG Dune port job at best.

Strong Top End - CPI's

Ultimate Top End - Shearer's

If I was in your shoes and had 1K to play with Here would be my modd list.

Pipes to match your Riding style $500-600

Port Job to match your riding style. $300

Throw the head in with the Jugs when you have them ported and have the builder shave it. It will up the compression enough that you can still run Pump Premium fuel. It does the same thing as a cool head only cheaper.

Shaved Stock Head $40

Your Banshee will be 10x faster than one that has Pipes and all the "Bolt Ons"

Pipes and Porting get you the most HP per Dollar spent.

If you send your jugs out to a well known builder your probaby going to have a down time of 3 months while your wating for them to get ported. Plus the port job is going to cost more.

These 2 guys do an awesome port job at a great price and have a turn around time of about 2 Weeks. Both guys are members here but I dont know there exact screen names.

Kevin Herr - Herr Jugs Racing

http://www.herrjugsracing.com/Porting_Motor_packages.html

Denny - at FlowTek

http://flotek.everything2stroke.com/porting.html

josh

Mods like, VForce 3's, Timing Plate, Cool Head, Pod Filters, are what I call Nickle and Dime modds. It takes a few of them to make a dollar.

Bottom End - Paul Turner Mids

Midragne - DMC's

Midrange to Topend - Toomey T5's

These 2 pipes shouldnt be put on a stock port engine. They need a STRONG Dune port job at best.

Strong Top End - CPI's

Ultimate Top End - Shearer's

If I was in your shoes and had 1K to play with Here would be my modd list.

Pipes to match your Riding style $500-600

Port Job to match your riding style. $300

Throw the head in with the Jugs when you have them ported and have the builder shave it. It will up the compression enough that you can still run Pump Premium fuel. It does the same thing as a cool head only cheaper.

Shaved Stock Head $40

Your Banshee will be 10x faster than one that has Pipes and all the "Bolt Ons"

Pipes and Porting get you the most HP per Dollar spent.

If you send your jugs out to a well known builder your probaby going to have a down time of 3 months while your wating for them to get ported. Plus the port job is going to cost more.

These 2 guys do an awesome port job at a great price and have a turn around time of about 2 Weeks. Both guys are members here but I dont know there exact screen names.

Kevin Herr - Herr Jugs Racing

http://www.herrjugsracing.com/Porting_Motor_packages.html

Denny - at FlowTek

http://flotek.everything2stroke.com/porting.html

josh

Denny's is Flotek and Kevin's is KEVSWS6 if I remember correctly.

i know ill probobly catch %$#@ for asking this i have built motors/ported cylinder heads before, i would like to port my own shee if possible, basically i am asking what areas are worked? for mild dune etc... any info would be apreciated, from what yall are telling me ill prob go with a p.j head exhaust and supporting mods, thanks for all the info, i would have probobly thrown a bunch of boltons on my bike and have been dissapointed.

Basically, if you "port it yourself" you are gonna do one of 2 things. You will either save yourself some money, or FUBAR a perfectly good set of cylinders. Trust me, if you dont know what you are doing, 300 bucks for porting is cheap compared to having to buy new jugs cuz you cut into a water port or something. Just my opinion. But I have seen pics of "self ported" jugs on here. Some are scary!!

i know ill probobly catch %$#@ for asking this i have built motors/ported cylinder heads before, i would like to port my own shee if possible, basically i am asking what areas are worked? for mild dune etc... any info would be apreciated, from what yall are telling me ill prob go with a p.j head exhaust and supporting mods, thanks for all the info, i would have probobly thrown a bunch of boltons on my bike and have been dissapointed.

I'm in the same boat as you man. I too have done a lot of motor work on V8s and high performance auto motors. I know I coluld handle doing Banshee cylinders but I'd just need to see what exactly is done. I do know that both cylinders have to be the same.

There is more to porting than just smoothing things up. It isnt like a port job on a 4 stroke where you just smooth the intake and exhaust ports up. You have to opean up transfer ports at certian angles. Raise the exhaust ports. That changes the intake and exahust Durations.

Doing a port job on a 2 stroke is like putting in a cam shaft in to a 4 stroke. The port job is the brain.

You wouldnt take a welder to a stock camshaft and make your own "Race Cam" would you?

josh

That was very, very well put, I dont have the experience of a ported motor yet but all the reading I do on here adds up to 'port work' if you want your banshee to haul ass! Nice assessment Josh