Big Sand Hill Climb Question

There are 3 main reasons I would say screw walden after that short vid.

1. Seminoe is closer for me

2. The climbs look a lot longer

3. The lack of trees means I can get stupid, shoot off the side of a trail by accident, and still recover rather than pile into trees.

I did that once last year at walden and have the scars to prove it lol. Plus you got a lake to go swimming in.

If you can see the punk ass arrow I put on this picture that is where I ran my bowls dry on sand mountain. I was not amused.

drycarb.jpg

Yeah, good point. and yeah that hill looks pretty damn steep too. That is one thing I really liked about seminoe is you definitely can find some long hills instead of all the little 2 second tiny hills in walden.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man you got me all pumped to go to Seminoe now! I think you said on DR that you just have mild porting done right? I think you would be OK pinning that baby and going with your stock petcock and carbs then. I was running stock carbs/petcock on a stock stroke cub when I ran dry. But it got me good enough that now with my dual pingel and 34 mm carbs I'll thumb it. Of course the instant power when you keep it on the pipe helps out too, lol.

Man you got me all pumped to go to Seminoe now! I think you said on DR that you just have mild porting done right? I think you would be OK pinning that baby and going with your stock petcock and carbs then. I was running stock carbs/petcock on a stock stroke cub when I ran dry. But it got me good enough that now with my dual pingel and 34 mm carbs I'll thumb it. Of course the instant power when you keep it on the pipe helps out too, lol.

Well we'll see next time I go... I will usually climb anything but I JUST rebuilt and man I would be PISSSSSED if I blew her now at the beginning of the summer cause I'm out of money now and I'd be screwed.

Yeah I'm already itchin to go back! I want to take my daughter and wife camping for memorial and hit maybe KP and then Seminoe but my wife may not want to go so that means I would't have anyone to watch my girl while I go ride so I'm trying to figure the whole thing out right now. I'm gonna ride regardless but hate to leave my girl behind.

Where did you say you were planning on going?

Where did you say you were planning on going?

Well first I was told to walden, then sand mountain, then KP, then walden, and now back to KP. I have a wedding in Laramie on Saturday, gotta be there Friday night too for rehearsal dinner. Then I took off Sunday and Monday to go ride and now it looks like I'll just head back to Rock Springs Sunday morning and ride out here. I only wanted to go to Walden if the water was running and digging out deadmans, the beach, etc. Now I'm half tempted to go to Seminoe but I'll probably save that for a little later in the summer. So after an hour of reading here is my answer: KP. Don't worry, once you meet me in person I'm a pretty quiet guy and you won't have to listen to me talk all day. :biggrin:

Well first I was told to walden, then sand mountain, then KP, then walden, and now back to KP. I have a wedding in Laramie on Saturday, gotta be there Friday night too for rehearsal dinner. Then I took off Sunday and Monday to go ride and now it looks like I'll just head back to Rock Springs Sunday morning and ride out here. I only wanted to go to Walden if the water was running and digging out deadmans, the beach, etc. Now I'm half tempted to go to Seminoe but I'll probably save that for a little later in the summer. So after an hour of reading here is my answer: KP. Don't worry, once you meet me in person I'm a pretty quiet guy and you won't have to listen to me talk all day. :biggrin:

Actually I'm pretty quiet myself...LOL so we'll both just shut up and ride huh?! :beer:

Well we'll see next time I go... I will usually climb anything but I JUST rebuilt and man I would be PISSSSSED if I blew her now at the beginning of the summer cause I'm out of money now and I'd be screwed.

I forgot to say this too. Told you I'm in a mood to talk tonight. :blink:

If you want to know how I break in a new motor, it's a few heat cycles. Check your jetting. Beat the piss out of it. The first time I put my cub together the only reason I blew the head off (yes I blew the head off) was because I was in a hurry and didn't fix a potential problem I saw. After I swapped studs and put it back together 2 hours later I rode it like I stole it and haven't looked back. Unless you lean out, have bearing issues, get bad gas or something like that down the road most of your problems are going to become evident immediately, whether you ride hard or not. Thats just how my rebuilds have been. If you did it right you should have no problems.

Any updates on the video you were making?

Actually I'm pretty quiet myself...LOL so we'll both just shut up and ride huh?! :beer:

LOL yeah that works for me. Ask Jared what happens before I do my dumbest moves. I sit at the bottom of the hill. Don't say much to anybody. Kinda pick out a line that usually changes, and then go without warning. I tend to think about it too much then puss out. Jared will stop and talk to somebody and I'll just be like "nice to meet you, I'm going to go ride around some more and try to hurt myself" We'll get along fine :beer:

Have you been out there Jon? I'm even a little worried about rolling if I tried to whip it around but I don't know. I did take some pics but you really can't tell at all how high the hill is from them.

sanddunes001.jpg

sanddunes002.jpg

sanddunes003.jpg

weak sauce. Seminoe is lame. If you want good hillclimbs go to sand mountain. :down:

weak sauce. Seminoe is lame. If you want good hillclimbs go to sand mountain. :down:

Yeah well sand mountain is 5 hours and seminoe is less than 2. Gas is 3.60 a gallon and I'm a tightass. Plus Utah and I have a love/hate relationship. And there is a lake to cool my fatass off. I've been trying to get this winter fat off for about 20 years now.

EDIT: And I can bring a fishing pole. Thats right people, I can still fish.

Tate you should definitely come to KP next weekend!!!

Pardon me if I think seminoe looks lame too, I'm sure you can have fun out there just like anywhere else but I promise you if you like long steep ass climbs and the little stuff in that video, you will LOVE KP.

Watching sasquatch break things on his body is as much fun as riding yourself!!!!

PM me for my number and you're welcome to meet up with us and caravan out in case someone has a blowout / breakdown etc.

KP is one of the few places that's worth a 3.5 / 4hr drive that I know of...

You better show too Jon, bust ass back there sat night and get some sleep and we will tear chit up sunday and monday rockwoot.gif

Did I mention Walden was BOOOORRING?

It was fun for about 2.5-3hrs of riding but that was it.... I'm sure it will be more fun in a couple weeks when the water starts to flow, but right now it's not much for a whole weekend.

Definitely glad we're going to KP.

this is a little off subject, but what gears you fellas able to pull the fingers at sand mtn. in? my bike pulls a strong 3rd about 42mph up them. I've got fairly aggressive porting with stock carbs and never have ran the bowls dry.

this is a little off subject, but what gears you fellas able to pull the fingers at sand mtn. in? my bike pulls a strong 3rd about 42mph up them. I've got fairly aggressive porting with stock carbs and never have ran the bowls dry.

Well with my fat ass I could pull 4th if I started back by the chutes and it would pull strong the whole way. Otherwise I was pulling it in 3rd most of the time, starting from the bottom of the hill showing up the 4-pokes that were getting runs at it and still not making it. :biggrin:

Tate you should definitely come to KP next weekend!!!

Pardon me if I think seminoe looks lame too, I'm sure you can have fun out there just like anywhere else but I promise you if you like long steep ass climbs and the little stuff in that video, you will LOVE KP.

Watching sasquatch break things on his body is as much fun as riding yourself!!!!

PM me for my number and you're welcome to meet up with us and caravan out in case someone has a blowout / breakdown etc.

KP is one of the few places that's worth a 3.5 / 4hr drive that I know of...

You better show too Jon, bust ass back there sat night and get some sleep and we will tear chit up sunday and monday rockwoot.gif

Yeah I believe you guys when you say KP is better for sure, I just couldn't make it there last weekend. BUT I'm really leaning towards KP for memorial. I just need to work out a few issues with my wife and daughter. I don't know if my wife really wants to go and if she doesn't I wouldn't have anyone to watch my daughter while I'm out riding but I don't want to leave her behind...

So we'll see, at any rate I'm pretty sure I'll be there!

And yeah I'll probably meet up and follow you guys since I've never been there.

I'll PM you once I know what's going on.

What day and time are you guys headed up?