best pipe for drag race 4mill stock cylinder and...

bansheeqc

hi everyone

I actually drag race on 400ft dirt track and i run a 4mill long rod stock cylinder drag ported on gas(non triple port)

I use Toomey T-5 inframe pipe like my stock stroke dragger but my engine rev at less rpm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My set-up it's:

cool head with custom dome set-up for race gas 165-170psi compression

36mm pwk airstriker carb with two KN

v-force 3 reed valve

timming plate set at +7

t-5 pipe with silencer (inframe)

my engine rev approx 8500 rpm and put down 79hp on a dynojet 188 dyno

other thing:

I run non-windowed piston

i run stock ignition with stock flywheel

my exaust port is not polished

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually planning to trade my pipe for CPI, Shearer or Power pro or possible other if it's the best.

I planning to windowed my piston, ligthened my flywheel and polish my exaust port.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see this thing on planet sand:

350,Sprd ported,,pump gas engine.93octane,34 lectrons,vf-reeds,timing plate.

Shear inframes-71.9 HP 38.7 torque @ 10,050rpm

Cpi Inframes- 71.3 HP 39.6 torque @ 9,500rpm

RDZ Drags - 73.0 HP 39.9 torque @ 10,300rpm

CPI drag oof- 73.1 HP 40.0 torque @ 9,600rpm

I have always wondered about these pipes and we spent 5 hours at the dyno today and went up and down with jetting and timing to give each pipe a fair chance. The Shear/RDZ inframes where the pipe of choice for the good power band,Great RPM range and quietness... They Won my choice..

The shear oof and the rdz made the identical pass within .2 of each other.. they look like the same stamping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:

1) what is the difference between T5 pipe and the pipe on the planet sand stuff (hp, torque, rpm, curve) for drag race.

2)What pipe you recommend for my application??

3) My compression it's correct or not for my application?

4)What is the difference with ligthened flywheel?

5) I will need aftermarket ignition?

6)What is the difference with windowed piston?

7)It's best to polish my exaust port?

Other mod needed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank a lot

bansheeQC

Keep the boost bottle off.

In all reality, your builder (whomever ported your cylinder) should be able to:

a. Either tell you what pipe will work best with their port work, or

b. Port into the pipe of your choice....

Polishing the exhaust port itself won't make much difference, if any.

since you're strictly drag racing, you want an Out of frame pipe, Shearer or CPI is a fine choice.

Ask your builder.

You said carb (but I think you meant Carbs...) as in plural.

If you're drag racing, you want twin carbs.

Your bike should rev higher than 8500 on stock port and stock pipes...something else isn't right.

Run a windowed piston to help the intake charge....

thank dajogejr for the answear...

yes i use twin carbs...

My cylinder is a old ported (1995 or older) cylinder (but i dont use them before last year)from a guy disappeared since a couple of year....he do not answear my question anymore...

generally, how many horse power, torque and rpm difference has with t-5 and other (shearer,cpi or other)

a couple of guy told me 1500rpm between t-5 to shearer and 3-5 horsepower ..what do you think about that?

I think that's about right...maybe more if the porting is that radical...T5s could really be choking it up.

Keep in mind, as the peak rpm and hp go up, as does the window it makes the power in.

For example....it will probably make less HP than a T5 at 5000 RPM, but it will make more the higher RPMs you get into...

87 to current are the same cylinder, no worries on that!!

There are a lot of good drag pipes out there.

Shearer, CPI, RDZ, Grand River and Power Pros.

Sure, there are others too...but the first 4 are the most mainstream, and I have buddies around here that swear Power Pros make good numbers.

So...that being said, find one of those for a good price, and get it....Shearers and RDZ have similar design and power characteristics.

CPIs are like my buddy calls them "utility Pipes" ...they just make good power. Maybe not the most HP peak, but they come on a little sooner...

Grand River and Power Pros are good pipes. I know Nate McCoy loves Jaws pipes, whom I believe makes snowmobile pipes as well as banshee drag pipes. However, I've never seen or heard them run....

I ran T5's when I first built my 4 mill drag ported stock cylinder. The T5's are deffinatly holding you back. It was a night and day difference between the T5's and CPI's that I am currently running. I thought maybe the T5's would have better midrange, I was wrong.

josh

i probably use inframe pipe...i hesite between CPI and shearer for drag race..but with this information (posted previously..i think shearer is best for drag race (+0,6hp -0,9torque +550 rpm)

==========================================================

350,Sprd ported,,pump gas engine.93octane,34 lectrons,vf-reeds,timing plate.

Shear inframes-71.9 HP 38.7 torque @ 10,050rpm

Cpi Inframes- 71.3 HP 39.6 torque @ 9,500rpm

RDZ Drags - 73.0 HP 39.9 torque @ 10,300rpm

CPI drag oof- 73.1 HP 40.0 torque @ 9,600rpm

I have always wondered about these pipes and we spent 5 hours at the dyno today and went up and down with jetting and timing to give each pipe a fair chance. The Shear/RDZ inframes where the pipe of choice for the good power band,Great RPM range and quietness... They Won my choice..

The shear oof and the rdz made the identical pass within .2 of each other.. they look like the same stamping

=============================================================

what do you think about that, what is the best combinaison for drag race?

I think Shearer or RDZ would be the best choice...however, SPRD had their own choices for porting, gas, etc.

You really can't take their engine and compare it to yours unless it was built to run the same....

It's a very interesting article, but always keep in mind. What works for them may not work for you...

I think Shearer or RDZ would be the best choice...however, SPRD had their own choices for porting, gas, etc.

You really can't take their engine and compare it to yours unless it was built to run the same....

It's a very interesting article, but always keep in mind. What works for them may not work for you...

but do you think the shearer run best compare to T5 for drag race in my engine?

thank you

I ran CPI inframes the last two years, and have one ride on my shearer OOF's this year. I like them both. It is hard to compare, as w/the new shearers I also started running Alky. HUUUGGGEEE difference, but I am pretty sure the Alky is what is making the big difference! Your timing may be a little high for a gas motor. It may make your engine peak out lower in the RPM's and may not be gaining much....Some food for thought!