!st banshee and need real power......600cc...

Alright well here it is. I have a 2001 banshee minus the motor, I picked it up for my new project. I want to make some serious power. Since im not starting off with a banshee motor why put one in? Whats a stock banshee make, 50 fly wheel h/p... I was think ing about putting in a yamaha r6 motor in it..? I have a motor from a 2004 yamaha r6 with 6,000 miles sitting in my garage.. With graves v stacks, APE adj cam gears and graves full TI exhaust I made 123hp to the tire on my r6 so why not just stick this stock motor in? Whats yall's opinon on this? the banshee is setup for drag with a +8 swingarm, smothed shaved fame...all the goodies :) Im looking for drag warrior so give me your opinions. If you think Im going the wrong way tell me why and what you think. Im not trying to bash any one or any thing but i just dont want your average banshee. And dont complain about cost baceause i already have 120hp r6 motor just sitting here, mine as well put it to use right... WHy spend the money on a built banshee motor when i can put a higher hp motor in for cheaper?

Well you definitely made yourself sound like a rookie.

Pound for pound and dollar to dollar building a shee based engine is going to be the most cost effective and work the best. Sure there are lots of guys who try the street bike engine thing, but they never do it right. It takes more than just putting the motor in the bike. 25% of the race is the motor. Another 50% is the rider. The last 25% is the tuning and setup. Just cause you put 123 hp motor in the chassis, doesn't mean it is going to make 123hp, or even put it all down to the ground. All the guys who run big engines succesfully, have put alot of money into it. Thats what it takes to make a drag quad.

I agree def a rookie on this. Thats why i ask... But heres the deal, I have a r6 motor sitting here, it cost me nothing.. Soo why not do it? SOO if you honestly think building a banshee motor is better than a r6 motor lead me the way. Ive been working on hot rods for 10 years and wanted to try something diferent..

Just wondering how hard it would be. I see ALOT of fast quad out there and wouldnt mind a r6 with exhaust and a 25 shot right... :evil:

Edited by mattc04gt

Soo why not do it?

#1 The Banshees Frame isnt tall enough. Your going to have to chop the top frame tube and make it taller. Now the gas tank is going to be way to high.

#2 The Banshee isnt the best handling atv.

#3 I would Put that motor in a Yamaha Raptor 660R frame if I was you. The frame will allow for much taller engines.

josh

Not trying to be a A hole but did any onne read my post? Ive been building cars for 10+ years, I already have a banshee a frame ready for a drop in motor, Im 28 years old with alot of time on my hands and i have been a diesel mech since I was 19.. I love to build stuff, its a hobby. Sooo get my drift? Why be like every one else a build a 2 stroke... Worst case scenerio I have a banshee with alot of custom work and I fail.... So what at least its different. And its a drag quad...Who cares what it handles like, cant handle to bad in a stright line can it? Hate to sound like a a$$ but damn seems like no one wants to positive about it.. Ill just build a banshee motor and throw the r6 motor idea out the window... :confused: i just want to try something different ya no? my wife is always on my as about drag my bike and this and that so this is my new project to get her my ass. But I do understand what some are saying, I just want to try something new

Not trying to be a A hole but did any onne read my post? Ive been building cars for 10+ years, I already have a banshee a frame ready for a drop in motor, Im 28 years old with alot of time on my hands and i have been a diesel mech since I was 19.. I love to build stuff, its a hobby. Sooo get my drift? Why be like every one else a build a 2 stroke... Worst case scenerio I have a banshee with alot of custom work and I fail.... So what at least its different. And its a drag quad...Who cares what it handles like, cant handle to bad in a stright line can it? Hate to sound like a a$$ but damn seems like no one wants to positive about it.. Ill just build a banshee motor and throw the r6 motor idea out the window... :confused: i just want to try something different ya no? my wife is always on my as about drag my bike and this and that so this is my new project to get her my ass. But I do understand what some are saying, I just want to try something new

well first off what you are trying is nothing new i've seen people put a street bike motor in a 3 wheeler way back when....second dont expect to go the hill/flats and just start whooping on everyone or atleast everyone that has a banshee based motor.......but you go ahead with your project and you'ill soon find out how quick a banshee based motor is........i hope you like eating sand diesel mechanic........... :shoothead: :shoothead:

Edited by bada450r

well first off what you are trying is nothing new i've seen people put a street bike motor in a 3 wheeler way back when....second dont expect to go the hill/flats and just start whooping on everyone or atleast everyone that has a banshee based motor.......but you go ahead with your project and you'ill soon find out how quick a banshee based motor is........i hope you like eating sand diesel mechanic........... :shoothead: :shoothead:

I understand, I was trying something new. I figures since I had it why not do it ya no? But ill look into it a little more. It just seems like alot of money to build a shee motor. All $hit aside, what would you recomend? Is the r6 idea that bad?

Umm, then do it. I dont think anybody was trying to be a dick.. You asked for opinions. you got them. if you dont agree prove them wrong. A couple of guys on here have conversions. Im pretty sure there are a couple of streetbike powered raptors around here. I think what the guys are trying to say is that it takes a lot to make a streetbike converision outrun a hot banshee. You will have one hard to overcome disadvantage and that is weight. Im certainly not a drag race expert or professional engine builder, but i have heard numbers for 4mil cubs on alky in the 100+hp range. And like you said in your title, woopty doo on a lil 4mil, there are lots bigger motors out there. You might make 125, but you will be heavy and more than likely get outrun. Your type of power will favor longer races, but on a short track the lighter bike will get you. If you want to do it because you have all the parts and the know how, do it. im sure it will be a fun project and i as well as many others would love to see it.

Umm, then do it. I dont think anybody was trying to be a dick.. You asked for opinions. you got them. if you dont agree prove them wrong. A couple of guys on here have conversions. Im pretty sure there are a couple of streetbike powered raptors around here. I think what the guys are trying to say is that it takes a lot to make a streetbike converision outrun a hot banshee. You will have one hard to overcome disadvantage and that is weight. Im certainly not a drag race expert or professional engine builder, but i have heard numbers for 4mil cubs on alky in the 100+hp range. And like you said in your title, woopty doo on a lil 4mil, there are lots bigger motors out there. You might make 125, but you will be heavy and more than likely get outrun. Your type of power will favor longer races, but on a short track the lighter bike will get you. If you want to do it because you have all the parts and the know how, do it. im sure it will be a fun project and i as well as many others would love to see it.

i agree with rubberneck........i honestly would do a street bike shee if i was going to dedicate some real time into tunning it.....you know right gears right tires and honestly you would have to beef up that r6 motor a bit more if you really want to be competive....by the way you can pick up a complete say 4mil cub motor for about 3 to 4 grand i'am talking pipes carbs the hole deal to just drop in and ride....maybe even cheaper who knows.........

Pritty sure that you will loose 20% of that power by swiching from one to 2 tires. Thats what I have heard.

Think I was reading about a banshee with a 600 motor running 6 pounds of boost getting beet by a 421 cub on PS. I know, just cause I read it dont make it true..

One of these video is of me racing a bombarder with street bike motor in it. Pritty sure it was a GSXR motor dont know what size. Eather way it was not to inpressive aginst my 421 cub. Just a cleanup port No override, no alky. 35pwk's and my first time riden in the sand with a +4 swingarm... I will try to find that video.

If you have the motor just sitting their with time on your hands, do sompthing with it.

I cant tell what race it was my computer has no sound right. You can hear people yacking in the background if that helps. :confused:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/Be...mountion014.flv

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/Be...mountion013.flv

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/Be...mountion011.flv

motor is too tall, frame is too short. ive done conversions and a streetbike in a banshee frame is not that cool of an idea. its gonna look weird. youll basically end up cutting the banshee frame all up. not worth it.

i would sell the streetbike motor and build a banshee motor up.

I ran my old ported 350 against a banshee with a cbr 900rr motor a few years bike. I lost by about a bike length and a half in a 100 yard drag race. 2 weeks ago at sandlake there was a guy with a Raptor 660 and R1 in it. He was winning drag races against mini strokers and my bike beating us by about a bike length. The point is, these street bike conversion quads dont run real great, they dont put the power to the ground that the shee motor will. Not to mention when a 4 or 7 mill cheetah thats putting 100-110 hp whomps your ass, they are gonna laugh you off the hill cause you got beat by a 460cc two stroke twin.

Here is one major obstacle to look at. Your gonna want to run about a 22 inch tire with a serious amount of paddles on it. What are you going to do for a rear sprocket? Its gonna need to be bigger than a damn beachball to gear the bike low enough to even use the first three gears.

If your looking for a project. got the parts. GIT R DONE. Its a project. Not all projects turn out as perfect as one would like. Gives a person something to tinker with. I just got my first shee and I have been tinkering with it since day one. I like it. Good luck with your decision

Ive got one im almost done with i put a kawai ZX9R motor in, not i know it wont be the fastest thing out there hell the motor takes two people to lift into place, but its fun building it, and like you said its cheaper, i had the motor, wiring carbs etc... and the frame was already cut up. it does look kinda strange but its fun as hell. i got the motor so low in the frame that when you mash on it on asphault (sp?) it just goes w/o spinning or wheelieing. there are a few things id change if i do it again Ie move the motor up about 1.5" more then where its at now. yeah i know for sure that i will get spanked by light ass built banshees but i didnt spend more then the price of some cubs and a stroker crank on this entire build.I say go for it, my advise on the build is get the motor as high off the ground as you can i only have about 6" of ground clearance below the header. but i plan on eventually gettin a arms and a different swinger and deffintatly shocks.