only 5hrs on new motor and it blew again...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not telling you what to do, but I have heard from experience... If you go to the machine shop with a crow-bar at night so no one sees you and destroy some stuff that they will fix your problem. When you mention that you told your thug friend about your little problem... Then ask if they want him to return or will they make the service right. (Oh, the key is to destroy paying customers items so the shop is responsible) Good luck!

Man, thats bullshit, so other innocent customers shit gets fucked up because you are pissed. Thats brilliant. If the machine shop screwed up they screwed up. they should accept some responsibility. however,the builder should also double check all critical measurments during assembly and never rely on the person that did the machine work. At least i do. Just my .02

just an FYI, the ring end gaps are situated towards the intake side of the cylinder, not the exhaust. If somehow the ring did spin around, it certainly is not the machine shops fault. It's pretty difficult to assemble an engine with the ring over top of the locating pin, but I've seen it before.

That, or the piston failed and the ring then spun around.

is it me, or do the ports in the pics, not look to be all that chamfered, if some at all?

and as for the stupid thug to say that destroying things w/a crowbar.......just shut the fuck up, with a stupid immature comment like that. not good advice. your probably one of those dumbfuckers that i would see getting arrested on cops, for breaking and entering, or something else stupid like that.

is it me, or do the ports in the pics, not look to be all that chamfered, if some at all?

and as for the stupid thug to say that destroying things w/a crowbar.......just shut the fuck up, with a stupid immature comment like that. not good advice. your probably one of those dumbfuckers that i would see getting arrested on cops, for breaking and entering, or something else stupid like that.

so what do you guys think happened what should i do? should the machine shop have it fixed or does it look like they did their job? i have been told that it was a shit port job that i could have got a lot better job done elsewhere. i have been reading a lot of reviews and i wish i would have had jeff at fast do the work but what should i do now im already $900 into this top end that blew after 5hrs. any thoughts would help thanks

i see in the last pic that you posted, that who ever ported your cylinders, didn't add the 2 boost ports. i would think that any reputable shop, that does great port work, would know enough to add those 2 ports. i talked to a guy that built numerous banshees and said that the 2 added boost ports are what really wake it up when porting. i would say to start looking elsewhere from now on in your engine repairs/mods.

They fix it or you talk see them in small claims court. Seriously, it's nothing you did and not your fault. Handle it like a profesional and you'll get what you should. Don't settle for less man.

thanks man. ya i think i am going to go back to the shop and tell them they have to fix it but i dont want their guys doing the work cause they flat out suck! i wanna see if they can send my stuff to fast and have those guys do the work because it sounds like they know what they are doing and a lot of guys on here go to them but thanks for the advice

Man, i dont know, its hard to tell from a pic, but it looks like there is some chamfer there. I mean, there isn't a ton on any of the cylinders i have sitting here. Do you have another machine shop that you can take it too and have them look at?

We do lots of cylinders for the local Yamaha shop and chamfering is standard procedure on any cylinder we hone. I feel for what happened here, but in our shop unless we actually assemble an engine ourselves there is very limited warranty. Ultimately it is up to the engine assembler to know what he is doing and to catch any mistakes we may have made before ever assembling anything. Once damage is done it is hard to find out exactly what happened. People make mistakes but to instantly blame the machine shop is getting old for me. Machinists make mistakes but as I said it is up to the assembler to catch any mistakes and not put things together. I don't work for the machine shop in question by the way. Our shop is in Kansas and we do mostly automotive and diesel stuff.

the ports definitly should be chamfered after the process then a hone then maybe even some fine 600 grit paper aroudn the ports cant be to cautious ,its always a good idea too just to be sure ,its cheap insurance that all professionals do ...because even if it doesnt physicaly snag the rings due to a sharp burr making contact ,it can still be very harmful ...wha t happens is the sharp knife edged port will act a scraper and with the piston going up and down say 150 times a second throw in some friction and it will effectivly skim the all important oil right off the rings and cause excessive heat, ring wear ,and ultimately seizures and judging by the pics the porting doesnt look very professional

Edited by flotek