only 5hrs on new motor and it blew again...

Looks to me like the ports wern't chamferd.. that big snag was right over a transfer port..

Id have to agree with u shayne, if the guy didnt chamfer those ports, I hear of this happening all the time! Id go back to him and try to get something out of him.. Im sure its unlikely that u will, but its worth a try

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went back to the shop today and the guys that were there said the cylinders are bad!!!!!! and the piston clip hit the exhaust port there is a big chunk out of the top they were speechless. i told them that they didnt chamferd them and they had no idea what i was talking about. they told me to come back tomorrow when the owner is there to see what they can do

post-28080-1209607207.jpg

So what happened did you talk to him today?

i took the cylinder back with the piston to the owner he said he is going to have to call me when his machine guy gets in... so he finally called he said his guy did a 100% job on my cylinders and the port work. he said it was all my fault. his first excuse was that i put the piston on backwards. then he tried to say when we put the cylinder on we twisted it and it moved the piston clips and thats what screwed everything up. well i got home i checked out my other cylinder and piston that piston is on the same way asa the other so its not a backwards piston. and my buddy that helped with the motor said he did not twist the cylinder and now the guy that did the machine work does not want to pay for anything

i took the cylinder back with the piston to the owner he said he is going to have to call me when his machine guy gets in... so he finally called he said his guy did a 100% job on my cylinders and the port work. he said it was all my fault. his first excuse was that i put the piston on backwards. then he tried to say when we put the cylinder on we twisted it and it moved the piston clips and thats what screwed everything up. well i got home i checked out my other cylinder and piston that piston is on the same way asa the other so its not a backwards piston. and my buddy that helped with the motor said he did not twist the cylinder and now the guy that did the machine work does not want to pay for anything

You need to post up some pics of that cylinder and the port edges. A reputable build would know what caused this. I am not going to point fault but more info could weigh your situation. I am leaning towards a ring hanging in a port. If you can map the ports or show some good pics, that would help.

Brandon

then he tried to say when we put the cylinder on we twisted it and it moved the piston clips and thats what screwed everything up.

That is kind of funny since the pistons have a little pin in the ring groove that wont let the rings rotate on the piston.

its always like this, the machinist never fucks anything up. its always the engine builders fault. the machine shops never help to pay for anything, once something grenades, due to their fault. its always like this. it just sucks for us. well, lesson learned. never take another cylinder there, and tell everyone never to go to that machine shop. yeah, please try to post some pics of the cylinder ports. we'll be able to tell if they were properly chamfered.

Who did the work? I am very curious to know...

did they assemble the motor or did you? Shoulda taken photos of everything. They could go back and chamfer those cyls over night and say you assembled it wrong or some BS. That really looks like a hung up ring to me. To be safe, checking clearance is good insurance, but the morons who built it should have your set of pistons there with rings to insure that the bore and hone they provide are to spec to match the pistons specs. The thing that sucks is now they can tamper with them to elude fault. There is no reason they need to keep them there for any inspection without you. Id check very carefully for new machine grinding marks around the ports.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I have heard from experience... If you go to the machine shop with a crow-bar at night so no one sees you and destroy some stuff that they will fix your problem. When you mention that you told your thug friend about your little problem... Then ask if they want him to return or will they make the service right. (Oh, the key is to destroy paying customers items so the shop is responsible) Good luck!

I'm not telling you what to do, but I have heard from experience... If you go to the machine shop with a crow-bar at night so no one sees you and destroy some stuff that they will fix your problem. When you mention that you told your thug friend about your little problem... Then ask if they want him to return or will they make the service right. (Oh, the key is to destroy paying customers items so the shop is responsible) Good luck!

Remind me not to port your engine. You ever make a mistake? I sure as hell do not fly that. People screw things up at their job every day but want to give a machine shop the third degree over someone else making a mistake. People make mistakes. I will guarantee you, you show up at my place with a crow bar and you will meet half way with something with a bit more velocity to it. NOT the way to deal with your problem and NOT good advice. I met a similar guy months ago and his "health" is still in question over it. Recommending trashing someones business is NOT the way to handle a business matter.

Brandon

Edited by blowit

Remind me not to port your engine. You ever make a mistake? I sure as hell do not fly that. People screw things up at their job every day but want to give a machine shop the third degree over someone else making a mistake. People make mistakes. I will guarantee you, you show up at my place with a crow bar and you will meet half way with something with a bit more velocity to it. NOT the way to deal with your problem and NOT good advice. I met a similar guy months ago and his "health" is still in question over it. Recommending trashing someones business is NOT the way to handle a business matter.

Brandon

im not going to handle it that way but thanks for the advice. and it was sams cycle supply that did the work. and sam said his guy has been doing machine work for years and years and he has never seen him mess up. i went and picked up the cylinder so i can take pictures to show you guys and thee is no way that they could have fixed up the ports there are chunks out of them i will take pics and post them in a little bit wait till you see the pics..... they said its so bad that the have to bore it 1mm and a half and they are not even sure if that will fix it because it is so bad

im not going to handle it that way but thanks for the advice. and it was sams cycle supply that did the work. and sam said his guy has been doing machine work for years and years and he has never seen him mess up. i went and picked up the cylinder so i can take pictures to show you guys and thee is no way that they could have fixed up the ports there are chunks out of them i will take pics and post them in a little bit wait till you see the pics..... they said its so bad that the have to bore it 1mm and a half and they are not even sure if that will fix it because it is so bad

post-28080-1209800623_thumb.jpg