Let the Flames Begin

It's been many moons since I've posted here, but with summer rapidly approaching, I've decided that it's time that my Banshee (engine locked up tighter than a frog's ass and all) get a little more attention. I haven't torn into the 350 yet, but I'm guessing purely from what I know (the head o-rings are toast, the right side piston slapped the dome so I'll probably need to replace the top end at the very least, and the fact that it's locked up leads me to believe that the crank's a goner) that getting it back up and running would be a very expensive proposition.

Here's the part where you start hating me. My friend pulled a 650 twin 4-stroke out of a wrecked street bike (I believe it was out of a Yamaha XR650, but am not entirely certain) and tinkered around with it, and it turns over, gets a good spark, and compression is fine. He didn't need the engine for anything in particular, and as I'm sure you've figured out by now I had bigger plans for the engine, so he pretty much gave it to me.

Being as a 650 twin 4-stroke is a world apart from a 350 twin 2-stroke, I have a bunch of questions. The first one, of course, is WILL IT WORK? I've seen some Banshees that have been modified to work with a 4-stroke, so I personally don't see why it wouldn't work yet (and it has a kickstarter, so the electric starter could be removed) but again, there are a lot of differences between the stock Banshee engine and the one I have now. I need to know what all needs to be changed to get this engine mounted and running in my Banshee. From what I can tell, the stock twin carbs will hook up just fine, so I should be good there. Other than that, I'm not sure what will have to be done. If you're familiar with the 650 twin from the XJ650s, I would greatly appreciate your help. Die-hard 2-stroke fans need not apply.

If you have common sence and tools, ox/acetelene, welder, of course it can work. With those just about anything can be made to work. Im thinkin Im about to begin a quadruple powervalve RZ500 project. I dont care if it fits now, or to ask anyone. I will make it fit/work. Id try to use the original bike frame and convert it to a quad frame if I had too.

I woudlnt even bother with a banshee. Is it a V twin Good luck getting that to fit in any type of quad frame. To do a motor swap right I would use a Raptor 660 Roller. The Frame opeainig is way bigger and allows for taller engines to be intalled with out choping the frame. 600 cc inline 4 cylinders are a squeeze to fit in the raptors frame.

Bashee is not a good canditate for a motor swap. There is better machines out there that allow more engine room and handle better.

josh

I know if I was going to do one I would probably use a ninja 650r motor that is probably what you got. It is a parallel twin like the banshee and has about the same size to it but a little taller and puts out decent power. I own one of these bikes but it is a 2007 model and just cant bring myself to take the engine out but if I end up totaling it one of these days I know where that engine is going :biggrin:

Alright, did a little research, and here's what I found out: the engine is from an XS650. From what I've read, I'd be looking at low-to-mid 50's horsepower wise, so as long as it doesn't have any issues that need to be worked out, it should be powerful enough. With a 4-stroke, I can just have custom-fabbed pipes, since the pipes' only duty with a 4-stroke is getting the exhaust out of the engine, right?

all that time money and pain in the ass to put a motor in the banshee with mid to low 50's for horsepower,. not to mention a 4 stroke? seems like a waste of time...some guy on a stock bore and stroke banshee is gona blow your doors off and laugh at you

Well, it's between that, and the time, money, and pain in the ass to rebuild the engine that's already in it. I can guarantee that, if nothing else, it's going to cost me more to rebuild the piece of shit that's in it now, because I can't think of that much that is even salvageable. There's no reason why this engine shouldn't be able to fire right up once everything's hooked up, so other than the cost of the engine itself (which as I said, is pretty much nothing), I'd be looking at maybe some time/labor costs, and whatever it'd cost to get a couple pipes fabbed for it. Obviously, if the engine isn't running, then yes, it would probably be a waste of time/money. But, $2500 that I'll never see again was dumped into the original engine, just to watch it blow sky-high due to what my mechanic claimed was "running it too hard and overheating it", you can probably see why I'd rather put a 4-stroke in it than dump more money into the original engine.

As for getting beaten by stock Banshees, how do you figure? The stock numbers that I've seen for most Banshees are in the mid-30's to mid-40's. If we're talking modified Banshees, the only way they'll be blowing my doors off is on paper, because there are none around here. And anyway, there's an old saying that goes, "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" Maybe you've heard it. I can't go and plop down thousands of dollars on a racing motor that'll blow away every other quad on the planet. There's good reason why I want to put this engine in my Banshee and make it work, and it's because I'm on a BUDGET. I don't know what it's going to cost to get it going, but it's a complete engine. If you ask me, having a 50HP engine that runs > having a 60HP engine that needs another $1000 dumped into it before it'll even turn over.

Like I said, die-hard 2-stroke fans need not apply.

I'll do some checking on the 350 once I get it pulled out of the frame... I haven't been too ambitious over the winter months due to the cold, but when it warms up I'll bust out the manual and start tearing it down. I'll probably need a little help since I may not know exactly what to look for, but I already know that the top end might as well be replaced.

Is there anything other than a fucked crankshaft that would cause the engine to lock up?