YFZ Shocks Only

Dinner

Hey Guys,

A friend of mine just bought a 04 YFZ450 and is planning on upgrading his suspension in the near future. Now the front shocks on the 450 were just recently rebuilt, serviced and all that jazz..and I must say, they are nice! I took the front of the YFZ and pushed down on it and mmm, they are so soft and well better than my stock Banshee shocks(stiff as fook).

I'm thinking of buying those shocks off of him when he gets his elkas or whatever he is getting. So basically I'm just wondering, for those of you that have swapped just the shocks, how do you like them over the stock Banshee front shocks? Like just front pushing and jumping on the YFZ, they seem like they would be sooo much better than my stockers...but then again it might not be once I actually get them on my shee, I dunno.

Any help is appreciated!

Dinner

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am also interested in the whole swap.a arms and all.those that did the mod please post up a complete step by step.

Here's the link for installation of the shocks. This is pinned at the top of the suspension forum.

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47969

As for the a-arms, here's the link to 2003LimitedBanshee's topic. He's selling the a-arm kits.

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=450+arms

Edited by 2001Stroker

Hey Guys,

A friend of mine just bought a 04 YFZ450 and is planning on upgrading his suspension in the near future. Now the front shocks on the 450 were just recently rebuilt, serviced and all that jazz..and I must say, they are nice! I took the front of the YFZ and pushed down on it and mmm, they are so soft and well better than my stock Banshee shocks(stiff as fook).

I'm thinking of buying those shocks off of him when he gets his elkas or whatever he is getting. So basically I'm just wondering, for those of you that have swapped just the shocks, how do you like them over the stock Banshee front shocks? Like just front pushing and jumping on the YFZ, they seem like they would be sooo much better than my stockers...but then again it might not be once I actually get them on my shee, I dunno.

Any help is appreciated!

Dinner

Mine work great! I wound up hjaving TCS rework the valving on them, but they were prettty good to begin with. The onlt catch is that htey are longer than OEM Banshee shocks, so you will need to make sure your ball joints do not wind up being you suspension travel limiting device. :geek:

Mine work great! I wound up hjaving TCS rework the valving on them, but they were prettty good to begin with. The onlt catch is that htey are longer than OEM Banshee shocks, so you will need to make sure your ball joints do not wind up being you suspension travel limiting device. :geek:

What do you mean by that Fire? If you wouldn't mind explaining it to me :thanks:

What do you mean by that Fire? If you wouldn't mind explaining it to me :thanks:

The YFZ450 shocks are longer than OEM Banshee shocks. The maximum angle that the ball joint stud can move in relation to the it's body is generally the limiting factor in ho far down your a-arms can move in relation to the chassis. Normally, you shock runs out of down ward travel first before you reeach the angular limit of the ball joint. However, if this winds up not being the case and the ball joints are limiting your suspension travel, then the ball joints will wear out very quickly and can break quite easily. Ball joints breaking are one of those things that can kill you, so it' best to be checking to see whats actually going on with the front end of your bike before you start bolting things together. :thumbsup:

I just put some on two nights ago and love mine, it did not take long and was not a pain at all. you will need help putting them on though because compressing them by yourself is hard. you need to compress them about an inch to get them to fit into the upper shock mount. no big deal and a very good (cheep!) upgrade. If you are on a budget like me its a good upgrade.

The YFZ450 shocks are longer than OEM Banshee shocks. The maximum angle that the ball joint stud can move in relation to the it's body is generally the limiting factor in ho far down your a-arms can move in relation to the chassis. Normally, you shock runs out of down ward travel first before you reeach the angular limit of the ball joint. However, if this winds up not being the case and the ball joints are limiting your suspension travel, then the ball joints will wear out very quickly and can break quite easily. Ball joints breaking are one of those things that can kill you, so it' best to be checking to see whats actually going on with the front end of your bike before you start bolting things together. :thumbsup:

Oh ok, I thought I had read about that before, just wasn't 100% sure on the concept. Now I'm using my bike mostly for hills, gravel pits and open areas like fields, roads, etc. I don't do much trail riding anymore and won't really be doing any jumping either. Soo I'm guessing that my balljoints should(key word) be able to handle the YFZ shocks?

I just put some on two nights ago and love mine, it did not take long and was not a pain at all. you will need help putting them on though because compressing them by yourself is hard. you need to compress them about an inch to get them to fit into the upper shock mount. no big deal and a very good (cheep!) upgrade. If you are on a budget like me its a good upgrade.

Yea I don't think I will have any problems installing the shocks if I get them down the road. It's pretty simple to grind away some metal and get them mounted up, hopefully :ermm: :laugh:

Oh ok, I thought I had read about that before, just wasn't 100% sure on the concept. Now I'm using my bike mostly for hills, gravel pits and open areas like fields, roads, etc. I don't do much trail riding anymore and won't really be doing any jumping either. Soo I'm guessing that my balljoints should(key word) be able to handle the YFZ shocks?

It doesn't matter if you're going to be jumping, or not. Simply hitting a few bumps can max out the balljoints. If you're going to do it, do it right. Get the whole YFZ front end, or an upgraded Banshee front end. Don't half-ass it, man. Use the links that I posted up earlier. They show you how to install the YFZ shocks, and the YFZ a-arms. I'm with ya on trying to save some money. But, suspension and brake parts are not the places to do it. You're gonna find yourself planted up against a tree somewhere. I'd hate to see another person in the hospital, or even worse, the morgue, just because he wanted to save some money and cut some corners.

It doesn't matter if you're going to be jumping, or not. Simply hitting a few bumps can max out the balljoints. If you're going to do it, do it right. Get the whole YFZ front end, or an upgraded Banshee front end. Don't half-ass it, man. Use the links that I posted up earlier. They show you how to install the YFZ shocks, and the YFZ a-arms. I'm with ya on trying to save some money. But, suspension and brake parts are not the places to do it. You're gonna find yourself planted up against a tree somewhere. I'd hate to see another person in the hospital, or even worse, the morgue, just because he wanted to save some money and cut some corners.

Word.

Some +2" +1" aftermarket a-arms will also allow the proper travel, if you don't what to use YFZ arms. The Janssen MX arms on my red bike are one of them.

They're set the softest settings & I gotta say they ride pretty plush on my Quicksand +2+1's. No probs with joints binding. They have heim joints so they move anywhere they want. My sig pic shows the front end pretty good. Sits really good & get a good ride. It would be a whole diff story if riding on those yfz a arms, those arms make you wider but don't provide travel. I might to what Firehead did & send them to TCS or maybe even Works who's just down the street for me. Who knows, TCS will also anodize them!

Where would be a good place to purchase these A arms for somewhat cheap (Rocky mountain doesnt ship to Canada if you are thinking that,lol)

Thanks guys!!

Where would be a good place to purchase these A arms for somewhat cheap (Rocky mountain doesnt ship to Canada if you are thinking that,lol)

Thanks guys!!

I have no idea how you guys get shit in Canada. I would maybe keep my eyes open on Ebay, if I were you. I'm sure some of the guys that live up there will chime in.

Edited by 2001Stroker

Thanks guys!!

What do you meen RMATV doesnt ship to canada man LMFAO...yes you cant buy online but all you do is get the part # and call them up and your good to go..hell in the last year ive had about 2K worth of shit sent from them to me. Also EVERY company will ship to us in canada , ive NEVER had a problem with that... Give them a call bro they will hook you up right! :thumbsup: