Stripped Phillips head screw...

Loki

I was removing the shift forks and i stripped one of the Phillips head screws on the lock tab, anyone know a good removal technique for stripped screws other than drilling the top off and using an easy out?

Thanks guys

I was removing the shift forks and i stripped one of the Phillips head screws on the lock tab, anyone know a good removal technique for stripped screws other than drilling the top off and using an easy out?

Thanks guys

Try putting a notch in the head with a dremel and use a flathead screwdriver to get it out.

obtain the correct tools to remove it, you need an impact driver kit . they are at sears, home depot or lowes. them 2 phillips heads can be a bitch with a screw driver. easy as pie with an impact tool.

obtain the correct tools to remove it, you need an impact driver kit . they are at sears, home depot or lowes. them 2 phillips heads can be a bitch with a screw driver. easy as pie with an impact tool.

Should've said it was the use of an impact driver that did it, got one and the other was a complete bitch just would not come about 8 hits later and it just splintered the cross pattern....

Should've said it was the use of an impact driver that did it, got one and the other was a complete bitch just would not come about 8 hits later and it just splintered the cross pattern....

That sucks! If the head is gone your probably going to have to drill it and use some type of screw extractor. If it has some sort of head to grab onto you still may be able to turn it out. Snap On sells left handed drill bits but I doubt that will do you any good if the driver didn't turn it. Use some heat before turning it but not before drilling it. Drilling is going to be a bitch, and you have to be careful to stay in the screw and not allow it to walk into the aluminum.

Good Luck!

SP

Edited by spurdy

Chisel and hammer, and patience...if you can't get the correct tool.

What you need is an impact driver as NYUK said. Here they are:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=93481

I'm not saying get it from harbor freight, some of their tools are hit and miss, cheap...etc.

But that's what you need. The first thing I've done with my last few bikes is get rid of the phillips screws that hold the side covers on and get stainless allen heads. Just to avoid this particular problem.....

if the impact driver was the reason for the shattering screwhead, i dunno what to tell ya. i never had this problem.

dajogejr wtf? $6? the impact driver i use was at least $50.

Edited by inthemail

if the impact driver was the reason for the shattering screwhead, i dunno what to tell ya. i never had this problem.

dajogejr wtf? $6? the impact driver i use was at least $50.

i baught mine from autozone for 12 bucks, used it about 10 times without a problem.

The ez out I used to drill my raptor's broken exhaust stud out worked pretty slick. It has a LH spade bit on the tip. You drill so far in with it. Then you spin a little coller down and push it in to the hole. When you start dirlling again it threads down in there and the bit expands the tip out.

EZ Out from Northern Tool LINK

152302_lg.gif

It's all good got a small cold chisel and a hammer onto it, made a nice notch then used a center punch to turn it came out pretty easily, gonna get replacement screws but with a hex head instead so I won't have this problem again.

It's all good got a small cold chisel and a hammer onto it, made a nice notch then used a center punch to turn it came out pretty easily, gonna get replacement screws but with a hex head instead so I won't have this problem again.

Good call. Like Dave said, I have also replace everything with a phillips head to stainless steel socket head cap bolt.