OEM Impeller to Aluminum Impeller

This thread is for all you do it yourselfers out there who wanna know how to upgrade your stock plastic impeller to the high flow aluminum one. The job is quite simple and only takes 15 mins to do. Tools required for the job include: a large philips screw driver, hammer, larger punch or an 11/16 socket, and two smaller bladed screw drivers.

First, drain all your tranny oil and water, take your brake lever, kick starter and footpegs off. Loosen the clutch cover bolts and wiggle the cover until it slides off. now that you have your clutch cover off, take the water pump cover off. Its the three screws shown in the picture below.

P2260354.jpg

Now that's off remove the five bolts holding the water pump cover on.

P2260355.jpg

You can see the plastic impeller now and are ready for the next step.

P2260356.jpg

Take your two small flat bladed screwdrivers and pry the C-clip off the shaft of the impeller(make sure this doesnt go flying into your face)

P2260359.jpg

With that off safely, you now can remove the washer, plastic drive gear and pin from the shaft.

P2260360.jpg

The old impeller should slide right out now, with your new aluminum impeller spread a thin coat of grease on the shaft to help seal and lubricate. If your replacing the seal in the case this is how you do it.

P2260361.jpg

Take your 11/16" socket and an extension and drive out the seal and bearing.

P2260363.jpg

Now that you have the bearing and seal out slide the new seal into place making sure it is centered in the hole. Drive that into place with your 11/16" socket also. Once that is all the way seated, your bearing can go in. Place bearing in the case also making sure that it is centered on the hole, then drive into place with a hard piece of wood or brass.

P2260362.jpg

Now reassemble the water pump plate making sure the gasket is on and tighten all five bolts. Now put the water pump cover on and secure the three bolts, install the cover back onto your bike using locktite on all bolts. Slide your kick starter onto its shaft and the brake lever also, hook up all the linkages and tighten all bolts, fill with water and oil and your done!

Edited by bansheeman1988

• 1 month later...

i see in the post that the gear drive is plastic. the question i have is there an issue with using the aluminum impeller with the plastic gear drive??? any one out there know? please share have the parts and ready to change it out, heading to the florence at the end of the month...

i see in the post that the gear drive is plastic. the question i have is there an issue with using the aluminum impeller with the plastic gear drive??? any one out there know? please share have the parts and ready to change it out, heading to the florence at the end of the month...

No it don't matter i've had my billet impeller on ever since i've had my bike and nothing has happened. I wouldn't worry about it.