override when needed

im thinkng of going with a 1-4 with 5th and 6th gear duneable

but my friend has almost same motor 421 cub , 4 mil with no port work or if anything a clean up he will have 39 pwks with pods, inframe shearers pipes

pretty much same motor as mine but he does more HORSING AROUND AND TRAIL RIDING than anything else. this bike he has no lock up either. and he not planning on a lock up will he be ok, should he atleast do a shift fork mod, please let us know when needed, or if he can get away with out lock up and override. thnaks for the help looking to finish his bike real sooon so i can start on my own build finally.

Lots of possible scenarios...

I had no lockup or overide in my 4 mil cub on gas, same thing. 35PWks, inframe Shearers.

I used Jeff's clutch and 6 HD springs. It held...but shifting under WOT sucked...

Keep in mind, if you get a 1-4 Dunable and manual clutch 5 and 6th, can you remember each time to pull that clutch to get 5 and 6th? If I remember, you run pavement drags.

What kind of riding do you intend on doing...aside from pavement drag racing??

I love my 1-5 dunable. It gives me the option to start in first and change my gearing for longer tracks....or start in second and shorten my gearing for 300ft, where...I mainly drag race.

So what...I have to click up twice before I drag 300....:)

An override and lockup should go hand in hand...IMO.

i am going with lock up and overide on my bike just figuring out what over ride to go with, but my friend does little racing but mostly horsing around and trailriding, and wheelies. so just trying to finish his build by the weekend depending on if there needed or not, and i heard about a modded shift fork that might help him. he is trying to stay away from lock up and overide if there not necessary but if they are he is on board

I think, and don't get me wrong....I may be off, but Yakkey makes a modded shift DRUM that aids in shifting.

Is that what you're thinking about possibly...?

If your buddy does a LOT more playing than racing...that is a pretty good mod.

I am trying like hell to find it...but can't for some reason. It's a modded drum with I think a bearing on the end, it's supposed to work pretty well.

I think, and don't get me wrong....I may be off, but Yakkey makes a modded shift DRUM that aids in shifting.

Is that what you're thinking about possibly...?

If your buddy does a LOT more playing than racing...that is a pretty good mod.

I am trying like hell to find it...but can't for some reason. It's a modded drum with I think a bearing on the end, it's supposed to work pretty well.

I've got needle bearings on both ends of the shift drum and both ends of the shift shaft. Also every other dog removed from the gears in the transmission. I can shift up through all six and back down through all six without the transmission under "constant mesh". It really shifts like butter and never had an issue.

I think the bearing numbers are HK1210 and HK2212 but don't remember for sure.

Edited by spurdy

I've got needle bearings on both ends of the shift drum and both ends of the shift shaft. Also every other dog removed from the gears in the transmission. I can shift up through all six and back down through all six without the transmission under "constant mesh". It really shifts like butter and never had an issue.

I think the bearing numbers are HK1210 and HK2212 but don't remember for sure.

That will help aid in shifting....

flotek on here used to have every other dog cut off and a few other things. He recently went to an override. As good as it shifted before, he will also tell you the override is the only way to go.

These remedies are good for 70HP and less trail/dune bikes. Once you start pushing real power....there is no substitute for an override.

you can`t have it both ways. you either have a purpose built bike or you don`t. if you want to be fast at the track and ride trails , you will be slower at the track. an override is a must on asphalt.the guys running 5.7`s and 5.6`s in the 8th have a 1 to 6 override and have learned to make it work.