It was DEFINITELY THE SPARK PLUGS

Skip2 MyLou

Well guys,

A few of you may have remembered the last post of mine, where I was talking about how my bike wasn't working out of the right cylinder correctly (Post was called "still not running right yet"). Well, I checked the plugs, and sure enough, it was them. BOTH OF THEM. however, the right was just much more far gone than the left. Now, my laziness and cheap-minded self kicked in, so i decided "what the heck, lets take it in under a "WARRANTY REPAIR". So i drop it off, and the guy calls me the next day and confirms what i thought. BUT NOW HE WANTS ME TO PAY $159. WHY, YOU ASK? He said i was running the mixture "to rich with oil" was his words, and it ended up messing up the sparks. I ran the mixture EXACTLY how they told me when i bought it. Which, by the way was, 4 oz. of Yamalube 2-R per Gallon. Now they want me to pay. Is this the correct mixture ratio? If it is, then i shouldn't have to pay a damn thing. If not, then they shouldn't have said anything when i bought it, if they didnt know what they were talking about.

Honestly...if you pulled the spark plugs, knew they were bad...why didn't you just spend 4 bucks and buy two new ones?

Mixture is irrelevant...4 oz per gallon I think is 32:1..should be fine.

I'd suspect rich jetting if anything...

I'd have a problem paying 159 for them to replace spark plugs. But...that's not a warranty item, it's a wear item...

I'd bite the bullet, pay for one hour shop labor time...and call it a day. next time, buy a pair of spark plugs and call it a day....

You knew the plugs were bad and needed to be replaced before you brought it in for service, right?

I'd charge you the shop minimum for labor, often 1/2 or 1 hour, and tell you to come pick up your bike once the bill is paid if I ran that shop...

seems like 32:1 see if this sounds right do some crazy math. ok so 32/8 equals 4 so 4 liters is 1 aprocimatly 1 gallon so to meen that would mean you would need to put in 4 oz of 2r for every gallon of oil to make 32:1 thats a good mixing ratio. and probably wouldnt screw you plugs its what me and all my buddies run. they probably jetting it rich from the factory and are blaming it on you putting in to much oil. sorry if thats hard to understand i live in canada so everything is in liters so it was abit of a chalenge for me to work out.

im wondering why the heck you would expend the effort to load up your bike and take it down there when you knew it was the plugs.

plugs are like 2-5 bucks a peice, depending where your at, so worst case scenario 10 bucks. should have just done it yourself.

whatever though, i would pay them for an hour and be done with it.

better re-jet your bike then, if your fowling plugs and running 32:1... 32:1 is fine, the manual even says 24:1. But if your not jetted properly you will run rich and fowl plugs. These are NOT 4-strokes although on a properly jetted bike the plugs can last for years they stillt ake more abuse than 4 stroke motors. Plugs are cheaper than the gas to drive to the shop, not to mention your time. Buy a box of plug so you can test your jetting next time.

You mean to tell me you loaded up that thing and drove it to the shop over less than 3 bux in plugs. I have no sympathy for dudes like you. Im sorry. 1 gallon of gas cost more than 2 NGK plugs. Dumbass. Warranty for damn spark plugs. Jesus! LOL!

You mean to tell me you loaded up that thing and drove it to the shop over less than 3 bux in plugs. I have no sympathy for dudes like you. Im sorry. 1 gallon of gas cost more than 2 NGK plugs. Dumbass. Warranty for damn spark plugs. Jesus! LOL!

The dealer is down the street. I'm a busy guy, so i figured, what the hell. I didnt know spark plugs were "Wear Items". I thought it would be covered by the warranty, since i was running the right fuel mixture, which the dealer told me. So i just thought i would take it to the dealer to, which is about maybe 4 blocks away, and save myself the time of going to the store, the couple bucks on spark plugs, and the time to put them in. However, this came back to bite me in the ass.....HARD

Wait until you have them change the transmission oil. That will probably run you 250+.

Holy shit...now that was damn funny...

Skip...if you didn't know spark plugs were considered a wear item, and they only cost 2 to 4 bucks, this might not be the bike or sport for you....or I hope you have a winning lottery ticket or a FAT wallet...

Holy shit...now that was damn funny...

Skip...if you didn't know spark plugs were considered a wear item, and they only cost 2 to 4 bucks, this might not be the bike or sport for you....or I hope you have a winning lottery ticket or a FAT wallet...

No sir, i KNEW that spark plugs cost only 2 to 4 bucks, i didnt know that they weren't covered as a warranty item. I know mechanics, but not how to read the "fine print". I assumed if a warranty says complete front to back coverage, i would expect that would include the entire bike... apparently it means they can take money from the front of your check book, all the way to the back of your pocket.

No sir, i KNEW that spark plugs cost only 2 to 4 bucks, i didnt know that they weren't covered as a warranty item. I know mechanics, but not how to read the "fine print". I assumed if a warranty says complete front to back coverage, i would expect that would include the entire bike... apparently it means they can take money from the front of your check book, all the way to the back of your pocket.

Sorry bro, but thats just like saying you didnt know windshield wipers or brake pads weren't covered by warranty on your car. You were plain and simple trying to get something for free and lost. Its pretty much a universal rule. If you have a 2 stroke, you keep extra spark plugs on hand. Lesson learned I hope.

Edited by gentner8