4mil vs. stock stroke cub

most cubs will not have great bottom end. tripple ports design.

a 4mm stock jug can be ported to have very good low end and broad mid and top. just in how you set them up.

bansheefreak has 4mm duner that honestly was surprised with the low end and top with shearers. not 4 stroke low end but still very good.

i would do that trade ifyour wanting low end and just get a port job, that tailored to your riding. its all in setup, porting, pipes, carbs, blah blah.

yea i know.. i have heard that shaving .060" off the base of the cub and reshaping the domes will make it trail friendly, not sure how it would do at wot.. i wouldn't do that, i would just put some stock jugs on it. the cub i have has cpi inframes, 33mmpwk's, vforce, 20cc domes, +4 timing

CUBS are NOT trail friendly.... You can try to neuter them, but you'd be wasting your money. You'd be better off with stock cylinders if they are done correctly. However, a Cheetah with powervalves would be the BEST all around motor.

Power valves, top end porting....sheesh!!!!

how would a stock stroke cub do against a 4 mill ported stock cyln .. bike ??

Way too many variables in that equation....depends on who setup each, chassis, setup, etc...

... what should i do??

Talk to a builder that has tested different pipes with a Cub cylinder.....you would be AMAZED at the difference in the amount of bottom end power that can be gotten out of the Cubs with the correct pipe for the type of riding that YOU do.

Most people want "the most power I can get", and that is what most of the engines are setup for, but with different choices of pipes, the powerband can be changed drastically.

This is somewhat of a simplification, but a Cub will put more pressure, (compression), into the domes even at as low as kicking rpm, so it is capable of building good power at lower rpm if the setup is correct for your type of riding.

Talk to a builder that has tested different pipes with a Cub cylinder.....you would be AMAZED at the difference in the amount of bottom end power that can be gotten out of the Cubs with the correct pipe for the type of riding that YOU do.

Most people want "the most power I can get", and that is what most of the engines are setup for, but with different choices of pipes, the powerband can be changed drastically.

This is somewhat of a simplification, but a Cub will put more pressure, (compression), into the domes even at as low as kicking rpm, so it is capable of building good power at lower rpm if the setup is correct for your type of riding.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

For one...the cylinder has drag porting timings, and because of the open port work...they don't produce as much compression as say a stock cylinder. Now...can you increase that with domes? Sure....but the same could be said about stockers..

And two...these are high end, high HP cylinders. You can take a Corvette, put truck tires on it, lift it...and call it "off road" capable...but you'd be missing the point of what it is designed to do.

I fully understand and agree...you can get more bottom and mid out of cubs just like you can with stockers by more restrictive pipes, smaller carbs or a 1 into two design....but you'd be missing the boat totally by trying to make it into something it's not.

In those cases, I'll be the first to say a stock cylinder setup is better and more cost effective for what you are trying to do....

Yea cub cylinder with a 2 in to 1 carb and a moto fast 2 in to 1 exhaust. :thumbsup:

You buy a pipe that matches the port work that you have done to the cylinders.

I had a MX Port with T5's it ran awesome.

Built a Patiriot Racing Drag ported 4 mill stock cylinders that I ran with my T5's Ran 10 times better than the mx port. I switched to cpi's and it runs way better. The t5's made that motor run run like crap compaired to CPI's.

You cant detune a drag port with a concervitave pipe. If you try it you will probably find your self getting beat by banshee's that are setup better.

......because of the open port work...they don't produce as much compression as say a stock cylinder

..... you'd be missing the point of what it is designed to do.

.......more restrictive pipes, smaller carbs or a 1 into two design....but you'd be missing the boat totally by trying to make it into something it's not.

Not intending to sound like I know a lot about too many things, but I am VERY familiar with what the Cubs were designed for...I am also very familiar with many ways they can be setup.........That being said, you are totally missing my point.......he already HAS a Cub cylinder, he doesn't need to buy cylinders to have an engine that can make good power if he needs it "later on down the road", it sounds like what he needs now is a dune engine, and a Cub is VERY capable of being setup as a duner.

Would I recommend someone go out and buy a Cub for a dune engine......NO, he wouldn't need to, but if he already has a Cub, why not use it, and have the ability to go faster if it is needed.

I have always said that the very first thing ANY two-stroke needs for performance is a pipe, had always said a pipe is the best "bang for the buck" as far as a two stroke goes........BUT......when the Cubs first came out a Cub was put on a bone stock Banshee, with the only changes being the cylinder and pistons, (stock pipe, stock head, carb, ignition......STOCK EVERYTHING), and the Cub made more improvement then a set of pipes......and made more improvement in "horsepower per dollar spent" then pipes did........The reason I brought this up is because it DID increase the "pumping pressure" with the exact same domes......it DID have a better torque curve "down low", and it DID make more power as well.

As more and more people built pipes for the Cubs, more and more pipes were made to make MORE power and rev better..........that is not what he needs. He doesn't need a "restrictive pipe"........he needs a pipe the WORKS WELL at lower rpm.