I am about to burn this bike down!

01CandyBlue

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have you tried a diffrent flywheel ? maybe it lost its magnetic charge ?? that or my guess would have to be a bad splice in the harness or ground wire. good luck... my buddies bike did this last year and it ended up being a spliced up wiring harness.

Are you sure the black wire coming off the stator is grounded?

The black wire on the stator is to connect the lights to ground, the stator is the source of the ground and it is bolted to the engine, so I checked continuity from the head studs to the stator ground bolt and I have it. I just assumed the black off the stator is just for the whole harness to have a single source to ground to the stator, so grounding to the head studs should be the same thing. I took all my lights out, I am just trying to at least get spark.

Edited by 01CandyBlue

K, I just put my meter to AC power, ran the leads into the green and red from the stator and kicked, the bar graph peaks, and the display goes to 0.0 to take a reading, then the kick ends and the motor stops spinning, the meter doesnt get a readout quick enough, but it is getting power from the stator.

Like I said I dont know what your knowledge is but if you dont know exactly how to use a multimeter you are waisting your time. You arent making power. Its that simple. Is the stator black wire grounded? Going by your little picture it doesnt look like it is. If not. Thats the problem.

Like I said I dont know what your knowledge is but if you dont know exactly how to use a multimeter you are waisting your time. You arent making power. Its that simple. Is the stator black wire grounded? Going by your little picture it doesnt look like it is. If not. Thats the problem.

I am very familiar with my meter, I hooked the black from the stator up to the rest of my grounds going to the head studs and it made no change, I have power from the stator, my meter just cant read it fast enough. When I check power normally, it peaks the bar graph, goes into a protect mode to make sure it isnt going to blow, and then displays a reading, anytime I check a reading it takes about a second to display it shows 0.0 then displays what is there, it is doing just that and than the signal ends, it is a fairly expensive fluke and is very precise.

I am very familiar with my meter, I hooked the black from the stator up to the rest of my grounds going to the head studs and it made no change, I have power from the stator, my meter just cant read it fast enough. When I check power normally, it peaks the bar graph, goes into a protect mode to make sure it isnt going to blow, and then displays a reading, anytime I check a reading it takes about a second to display it shows 0.0 then displays what is there, it is doing just that and than the signal ends, it is a fairly expensive fluke and is very precise.

Damn man I dont know. You say everything is getting power yet it wont fire. It just doesnt add up. You have to be reading something wrong with that meter.

Stick the meter proble in the plug boot and ground the other and see what it reads. If it reads what youve been seeing on the other parts then you arent doing somehting right.

Damn man I dont know. You say everything is getting power yet it wont fire. It just doesnt add up. You have to be reading something wrong with that meter.

Stick the meter proble in the plug boot and ground the other and see what it reads. If it reads what youve been seeing on the other parts then you arent doing somehting right.

I get a reading at my coil wire of around 2.5 volts at the orange wire before the kick ends, so maybe not enough power at the coil to fire the plugs, or an issue with the cdi, but I swapped cdi's and no change.

Edited by 01CandyBlue

I get a reading at my coil wire of around 2.5 volts at the orange wire before the kick ends, so maybe not enough power at the coil to fire the plugs, or an issue with the cdi, but I swapped cdi's and no change.

What about the rerading at the plug boot? Where the plug connects to the end of the plug wire. Forget about the orange wire for now. Put your hand on the end of the plug and kick it. I know it sounds bad but that is the easiest way to tell if its getting any fire or just weak fire.

I just remembered you said you had tried a new coil. Man you arent getting power to the coil. Somehting isnt hooked up right or the stator is bad. Could be the FW. You said you had some work done to it. What?

could it possibly be the way my coil is grounded. I know that in order for a coil to fire it must have power to it to build the magnetic field, then there must be a break in the circuit for the field to collapse and allow the current to shoot down the spark plug wire. As of now the negative wire is grounded directly to the motor, so what I am wondering is where does the circuit get its break in order to fire the coil. Is it on the negative side, or is it controlled through the positive side. If it is on the negative side, do I have to run the black coil wire to the cdi box and not common ground. As of now they both run directly to engine ground.

could it possibly be the way my coil is grounded. I know that in order for a coil to fire it must have power to it to build the magnetic field, then there must be a break in the circuit for the field to collapse and allow the current to shoot down the spark plug wire. As of now the negative wire is grounded directly to the motor, so what I am wondering is where does the circuit get its break in order to fire the coil. Is it on the negative side, or is it controlled through the positive side. If it is on the negative side, do I have to run the black coil wire to the cdi box and not common ground. As of now they both run directly to engine ground.

You should have all grounds run to a common wire and that wire grounded to the frame. I have a ground that is connected to my Ignition coil. That ground wire is connected to the frame. My Magneto and cdi are tied in to this same wire. If you dont have a wire connected to the frame then it wont all work.