I am about to burn this bike down!

01CandyBlue

This is a mess, I bought a bike, it turned out to be a peiced together joke, so I parted it out to start over. Spent 15 hours yesterday and got my all new bike together and it has no spark.

I have swapped the stator with a brand new one

swapped the cdi

swapped the coil

I have power to the coil, my meter spikes on the orange wire when I kick the bike over

I have tested the coil, pickup coil and stator.

I have pulled the harness, checked every wire

I took the harness and cut out everything but ignition, grounded the cdi and the coil, and still no spark. I dont know what to be looking for, I assume if the coil has power, it is not discharging, so pickup coil or cdi. I have tried two pickup coils, swapped the cdi's and verified the pickup coil gap. I have a pic of what I did to my harness, my grounds are right to the head studs. I even tested ground continuity. I may have the kill switch wires messed up but I dont think so.

Basically I figure the red/black black/white wires coming off the cdi need to be open to run, when they complete the circuit it kills. but I may be wrong.

I have seen posts of the flywheel being bad, I just had it machined, this bike ran 3 weeks ago. I am worried because I pinched a dome seal and got coolant in the bottom end, I want to get this thing running asap to make sure it is all out, any advice would be appreciated!!!!!!!!

post-16079-1200270881_thumb.jpg

Edited by 01CandyBlue

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like the coil may be bad. If you have power to the orange wire thats one thing but do you have power to the plug boot? Put the plug in and ground to the pipe or frame and kick it. See what you have.

Have you tried the R/B wire closed? Its been a few months since I re-wired mine so its not fresh in my head. I did the same as you. I took everything out that doesnt make it run and cut off. LOL

If you have power at your coil for sure, you should have spark. Check your gaps @ pick up and plugs. are the orange and black on the coil the right side? You can check a stator and coil with a contenuity tester. Also dumb, but I have done it before and gotten so mad,... is it turned on ?

I have tested the coil and it passes, it is not discharging like it should, my ide of the coil operation is the coil charges, the pickup coil sends a signal to the cdi and the cdi has the ignition coil discharge. It seems to be getting power but not releasing it to the plugs. I have no spark through the wires even with the caps off the wires.

It has no off and on switches, they have all been bypassed. It has no spark at all, the coil is wired right, I have two bikes to make sure things are right. One thing I think is the red/black wire from the cdi needs to be grounded, I tried and it made no difference. Thanks for any help!!!

Edited by 01CandyBlue

Ground that r/b wire.

I dont know your knowledge so its hard to say. You cant be getting power from the stator to the coil and it not fire. Unless the coil wires or plugs are bad. I dont think you are reading that thing right. The coil may be conducting like it should with the tester but that doesnt mean its getting power form the stator.

Are you getting spark at the plug? Pull the pulgs and place them in the boots and agenst the head bolt or the pipes turn out the light and kick No fire, bad leads.

I already suggested that. Heck Ive put it in my hand before and kicked it. LOL Its hard to do but Ill tell ya what. You know if its firing or not. LOL Sometimes its hard to see but you can feel it.

I have tested the coil and it passes, it is not discharging like it should, my ide of the coil operation is the coil charges, the pickup coil sends a signal to the cdi and the cdi has the ignition coil discharge. It seems to be getting power but not releasing it to the plugs. I have no spark through the wires even with the caps off the wires.

It has no off and on switches, they have all been bypassed. It has no spark at all, the coil is wired right, I have two bikes to make sure things are right. One thing I think is the red/black wire from the cdi needs to be grounded, I tried and it made no difference. Thanks for any help!!!

Then change coils. Or have you done that? Like I said its a coil problem. Atleast the way you make it sound. If its geeting power but not discharging it to the wires its bad. You said you have another bike. Snatch that coil off.

I changed the harness to ground red/black my pic shows the change, still no spark when holding the plug on the head and kicking.

How I tested for power at the coil was hooking my meter up to the orange wire and ground and kicking the bike, the meter peaks like it is trying to read the voltage but it isnt long enough to give a readout, but it is peaking and showing current with the little bar graph display on the meter.

post-16079-1200275189_thumb.jpg