snap on compression tester

I have the snap on tester for a few years now.But having problems with it now.

Gauge is reaing very high 175 psi.The banshhee has stock porting and 22 domes impossible.I got 150 on mine with the same set-up.When I kicked the other machine over.I kept going and the gauge just kept increasing slow to 175.What can be wrong with the tester??Local snap-on guy has no clue and it's a 1 year warranty.Yes I replaceded the needle valve.

yep, a good dealer would dummy up a receipt for his warranty claim and give you a new gauge. or he could sell you a new gauge for cost. t snap-on usually sells good quality stuff so a compression gauge should last alot longer than two years if it was taken care of properly.unfortunately these guys have so much warranty coming back at them from years of selling lifetime warrantied tools, they tend to catch shit from thier field managers (management) for any unjustified warranty returns.

Edited by the grinch

Okay Im going to try and explain this the best I can..

My buddy is a BMW mechanic, so when I got my motor back and wanted to check my compression he brought home is snap on kit...

In the kit there was I believe 2 different ends that threaded into my cylinders..Now the difference between the two was the amount of thread they had, meaning one threaded in further than the other..now when we did the test the first time the same thing happened to me It just kept rising to about 170-175... did it on both cylinders and I was like wtf, bc I knew that I was supposed to be between 150-155... so I used my cheap tester that I have and I got 155psi in each cylinder, after that we used the other adaptor on the snap on kit and bamm 155psi in each cylinder...

Soo does you kit have other adaptors or whatever you call them...I hope this helps..

Okay Im going to try and explain this the best I can..

My buddy is a BMW mechanic, so when I got my motor back and wanted to check my compression he brought home is snap on kit...

In the kit there was I believe 2 different ends that threaded into my cylinders..Now the difference between the two was the amount of thread they had, meaning one threaded in further than the other..now when we did the test the first time the same thing happened to me It just kept rising to about 170-175... did it on both cylinders and I was like wtf, bc I knew that I was supposed to be between 150-155... so I used my cheap tester that I have and I got 155psi in each cylinder, after that we used the other adaptor on the snap on kit and bamm 155psi in each cylinder...

Soo does you kit have other adaptors or whatever you call them...I hope this helps..

I use the adapter that is the same lenth as the spark plug,like always.

And the snap-on guy said I was kicking to much.just 4 revs.

you cant kick it too much. your motor will only build the maximum amount of pressure then stop. it wont matter how many times you kick it after that. once its at its max thats as far as it will go, so you need to tell that snap-on guy he needs to learn wtf he is talking about.

you cant kick it too much. your motor will only build the maximum amount of pressure then stop. it wont matter how many times you kick it after that. once its at its max thats as far as it will go, so you need to tell that snap-on guy he needs to learn wtf he is talking about.

Yeah,I hear ya.....Once he said that I knew I was going no where!!

Hoping someone from this site has a hook up with snap on.unit is like NEW.Only use once-twice a year..

Hm, The correct adaptor is the 14mm one. I got 2 adaptors 14 and 18 with my 30 dollar comp tester and it reads rite on. I tested it with my mechanics snap on and the reading was the exact same. It doesnt matter how much you kick it because your motor will only build up a cirten amount of compression untill the needel doesnt move anymore. 175 with 22cc domes sounds rediculously high though. Are you running alot of timing too?

Hm, The correct adaptor is the 14mm one. I got 2 adaptors 14 and 18 with my 30 dollar comp tester and it reads rite on. I tested it with my mechanics snap on and the reading was the exact same. It doesnt matter how much you kick it because your motor will only build up a cirten amount of compression untill the needel doesnt move anymore. 175 with 22cc domes sounds rediculously high though. Are you running alot of timing too?

stock timing....

stock timing....

That just doesnt sound rite. I would call the snap on guy and see if he will replace it or at least look at it for you. In the meantime just go and buy a noname comp tester from AutoZone test your compression with that and see what it reads then take it back once you get your snap on. Even though the snap on is more than likely off, High compression and low octane are nothing to mess with.