Boring it out

daisy

i have a 1987 stock banshee. It has never been bored out. It has a boost bootle and fmf pipes on it.I ran a compression test on it and have 140 on left side and 0 compression on right side.When i take the motor apart what should i look for?? Will there be anything noticable to show why there is no compression the right side??

the cause of the compression problem should be instantly identifiable upon taking the cylinder head off! look for a big hole in the center of the piston, or a piston cracked around the edge with a broken ring. :sick: when was the last time the engine was running?

Edited by the grinch

I agree with ^^^^^. Sounds like a hole in the piston. As far as the bore......don't bore any more then needed to clean up the cylinders. Hone only if you can get by with it. But, with an '87 that has never been bored I would suspect the cylinders walls will need some dressing depending on how much it has been used.

Wiesco sells stock pistons in 0.010" increments I believe. Starting at 0.010" over stock which is 64mm. So the first oversize is 64.25mm. Keep your bore as small as possible as this is the life of your engine. Punching the jugs out to increase cc is silly.

SP :thumbsup:

the cause of the compression problem should be instantly identifiable upon taking the cylinder head off! look for a big hole in the center of the piston, or a piston cracked around the edge with a broken ring. :sick: when was the last time the engine was running?

Last time it was running was a few weeks ago. I just havent had time to take it apart to see wha the problem is and to be honest it will be my first tear down on a quad.is it going to be very hard?? i have torn down vw motors and built them back using stroker cranks and that was pretty easy but as i said this is my first quad motor . Thought id give it a try since it was only the topp end.

Last time it was running was a few weeks ago. I just havent had time to take it apart to see wha the problem is and to be honest it will be my first tear down on a quad.is it going to be very hard?? i have torn down vw motors and built them back using stroker cranks and that was pretty easy but as i said this is my first quad motor . Thought id give it a try since it was only the topp end.

I HAVE ANOTHER ? I tore down my motor and found that the sleeve on the bottom of the piston was borke off and the rings was froze in the piston. well my ? is im thinking that the peice broke off of the sleeve is in the bottom of t he motor. Well if that the case how hard is it to slpit the block to get it out or can i just take one of the side cases off to get ot out?

nevermind that thread.

all of the pics have been removed cuz someone fucked up their

crank and blamed it on Red.

just get the Clymers and folloe the step by step instructions.

yep, your looking at a complete tear down. a tedious job indeed! but there is no better way to learn about your shee than a complete overhaul. consider it a learning experience. some people go for years without really understanding whats going on inside the engine! try to work in a clean area as there are alot of parts that can go missing! have fun!