Short out a rotor/stator?

I just got my motor back together and was ready to fire it up. started kicking Lights come on with each kick i got spark. A lil choke and Whamo it fires right up I rev it a few times and shut it off something dont feel right. I already had the stator cover off so i just looked at the rotor I got a small chip on each of the pads leading edge. The pick up came loose and touched the rotor. The electrode on the pick up is chewed a lil. So I try to clean it up with some good old files, put it back together and now NO SPARK. Did I short out the coil or did my pick up just get trashed? I need help guys I got 4 days off and I wanna ride!

the rotor? you mean the flywheel? is the flywheel damaged at all? each little metal tab on the flywheel needs to be in good condition. there are 2 tabs, spaced 180 degrees apart.

the pick up sensor is a pretty precise instrument. did you gap it corectly to the flywheel? if the pick up is damaged you probably wont get a spark, as that is the device which sends a signal to the cdi to power the coil.

I just got my motor back together and was ready to fire it up. started kicking Lights come on with each kick i got spark. A lil choke and Whamo it fires right up I rev it a few times and shut it off something dont feel right. I already had the stator cover off so i just looked at the rotor I got a small chip on each of the pads leading edge. The pick up came loose and touched the rotor. The electrode on the pick up is chewed a lil. So I try to clean it up with some good old files, put it back together and now NO SPARK. Did I short out the coil or did my pick up just get trashed? I need help guys I got 4 days off and I wanna ride!

I would guess it is the pick up or the CDI. The pick up sends a trigger to the CDI. The CDI then sends a low voltage high current signal to the coil which steps up the voltage to spark plugs. Correct me if I am wrong but I think this is accurate.

If the pick up shorted out it could be bad and at worst could have shorted the input to the CDI. Coil should be fine.

Best o luck!

You better quit looking at the brakes and check the flywheel then.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :biggrin: