Switching Fattys for T-5s

jayzx10r

I have an opportunity to pick up a set of brand new chrome T-5s for $360. Do you think I should do it to get a harder mid/top end hit? Is it worth the expense and hassle? Will the change be significant? While I can't find fault in my FMFs, I could use a longer rev out.

I only ride in the sand (50/50 dune/drag) at Glamis or Buttercup and my mods are listed in my sig.

What'cha think?

:thanks: Jay.

I have an opportunity to pick up a set of brand new chrome T-5s for $360. Do you think I should do it to get a harder mid/top end hit? Is it worth the expense and hassle? Will the change be significant? While I can't find fault in my FMFs, I could use a longer rev out.

I only ride in the sand (50/50 dune/drag) at Glamis or Buttercup and my mods are listed in my sig.

What'cha think?

:thanks: Jay.

Ditch them both and get a set of CPI's. I ran all these setups on PWK33's. I went from SST to T5's on my mx ported motor. It made a noticable gain. Then built my drag ported 4 mill and ran it on my T5's. It hauled the mail really good compaired to my mx port on T5's. Then I got a set of CPI's it was a night and day difference for the better.

Your running a dune port 4mill with PWK33's. The Fatties are holding you back. On my drag ported 4 mill with CPI's I have better mid range with the cpi's than I had with the T5's.

dude either way get the t-5s if they are chrome

look you could try em out and if you dont like em turn around and sell em 400 since you would only have put 1-2 hours on . but if you like em keep em and sell the fmfs

I dont have any experience with FMF, I kno that they are a very good pipe though and have been around for awhile now, but for that price Id say go for it, Toomeys look sweet, especially since your bike is flawless they would look real nice.. I have T5's on my shee and I love them, no complants at all..sell the FMF for $250 and bam you got some toomeys for $100 bucks...

then if you want to go with cpi go for it you arent going to loose anything, you will get you money back on the toomeys all day long...

Ditch them both and get a set of CPI's. I ran all these setups on PWK33's. I went from SST to T5's on my mx ported motor. It made a noticable gain. Then built my drag ported 4 mill and ran it on my T5's. It hauled the mail really good compaired to my mx port on T5's. Then I got a set of CPI's it was a night and day difference for the better.

Your running a dune port 4mill with PWK33's. The Fatties are holding you back. On my drag ported 4 mill with CPI's I have better mid range with the cpi's than I had with the T5's.

Thats what I would do.But buy the t5s and sell them on ebay for 450$

Don't the CPIs fit horribly?? Can anyone post a photo of the stingers under the seat where they run near the carbs/air filters?

I'm running 6" long K&Ns with Outerwears....I'd hate to burn them up!! :whistling:

They dont fit that bad. I have more room around the carburetors than I had with my t5's. The cpi's curve out and then tuck back in. With my toomey, boss racing intake, pwk with pods had less room at the carb cap. I had to have my LH carb turnd a little so it woldnt hit on the pipe. My cpis curve out and around.

I had to put 1/4 or 3/8 in spacer between the front pipe hanger and the frame. (if you have a hardware store that sells those chrome fastners that is what I used insead of a stack of washers.) You will also have to trim the front fenders if your running full fenders. I run the cascade exhaust wrap on my LH singer tube so I dont have to worry about melting any outerwears.

On my motor the gain was deffinatly worth it. If you get some cpi's i dont think you would regret it. I just figured that your going to have to modd somthing to get those huge cpi's to fit. I can get some pics if you like.

josh

Don't the CPIs fit horribly?? Can anyone post a photo of the stingers under the seat where they run near the carbs/air filters?

I'm running 6" long K&Ns with Outerwears....I'd hate to burn them up!! :whistling:

Then dont get the CPI's. Get some shearers. The fittment of the stingers

around the air filters is awesome and they pull harder than the CPI's.

i have cpi pipes too. they did fit like shit at first, but if you spend a little time and space them out

where they need it they will be cool. also, i have 6" turn down pods (from FAST) and i have no probs

with clearance.

sounds like your engine could use some better pipes, but you will be wastin your time going with the

t5s. might be a good idea to pick em up and just turn around and sell them. the profit from them and

the fmfs will prolly go a long way toward a set of good pipes.

you have not yet even begun to feel how hard that motor can pull. get a set of shearers or cpis then

youll find out what a badass motor you have.

i have cpi pipes too. they did fit like shit at first, but if you spend a little time and space them out

where they need it they will be cool. also, i have 6" turn down pods (from FAST) and i have no probs

with clearance.

sounds like your engine could use some better pipes, but you will be wastin your time going with the

t5s. might be a good idea to pick em up and just turn around and sell them. the profit from them and

the fmfs will prolly go a long way toward a set of good pipes.

you have not yet even begun to feel how hard that motor can pull. get a set of shearers or cpis then

youll find out what a badass motor you have.

Yep I have angled pods and dont have a problem with them hittinug. I do run a cascade heat wrap on the LH stinger tube.

Like brian said it takes a little playing with spacers to get them to fit good. Look at how much pipe your trying to stuff in there. My Cpi's fit bettet with my boss intake and PWK's than what my toomey t5's did.

Wich ever pipe you get and if looks are real important to you get the cpi's or shearer's from cascade. They get the pipes bare steal and have them crhome plated by there owne chromer. CPI's and Shearers have been known to have crappy chrome and peal.

josh

Edited by jbooker82

Yep I have angled pods and dont have a problem with them hittinug. I do run a cascade heat wrap on the LH stinger tube.

Like brian said it takes a little playing with spacers to get them to fit good. Look at how much pipe your trying to stuff in there. My Cpi's fit bettet with my boss intake and PWK's than what my toomey t5's did.

Wich ever pipe you get and if looks are real important to you get the cpi's or shearer's from cascade. They get the pipes bare steal and have them crhome plated by there owne chromer. CPI's and Shearers have been known to have crappy chrome and peal.

josh

The look of the chrome isn't an end all for me, but you have to admit...NICE chrome does look GOOD!!

I have not seen the "turn down" style K&Ns, mine are a straight mount pod style...6"long and 3 1/2 " around. I don't have a lot of room for a cruddy fitting stinger.

Those Cascade wraps would work though. I'm sorta liking the way it sounds the CPIs would work out because I like some mid for duning.

Here is mine...I have Outerwears over dry UNI filter wraps, over oiled K&Ns. Prolly a bit overkill....

20070119152509aakq8.jpg

Edited by jayzx750