Too much Yamabond...

theshee

Sold the cylinders and top end of my bros twister motor we didnt build and here is what we found...

Yamabond had been put on so thick it ran into the crank, and crank bearings, and the tranny was covered in yamabond. The shift drum was touching yamabond that had pooled in the bottom of the case. Crank bearings are very hard to turn, so probably ruined. Just thought i would share what we found.

Crank bearing o-ring, notice where in ran in the front..

IMG_0857.jpg

Trashed crank bearings... (not exatally sure how the yamabond covered these inside bearings so bad?)

IMG_0856.jpg

sucks, those were all BRAND NEW TZ bearings on that crank. Less then 3 rides on them, now they gotta be chabged or cleaned out somehow.

Let them soak in Acetone it will disolve yamabond. You could probably soake the whole crank. I dont know if there is any type of plastic in that center webing. Probably should remove the rubber O rings on the crank berrings if the bearings have any. Acetone will eat rubber and plastic.

I never thought of coating my crank and rods in yamabond to lower drag :banghead:

Edited by jbooker82

In my opinion a builder or whom ever did the build, do not have a clue what they were doing, thats bad, If there is yamabond in the bearings but it did get oil and didn't turn colour, wash them out and they would be fine, depending on how much play they have.

I really really doubt some YB-4 hurt your bearings. Think about this logically. When two pieces wear, the harder wears slower. Which is harder, a nice precision ground bearing, or some tacky sealant shit? I'll choose the bearing.

To check use the screwdriver to your ear method while turning the crank kinda fast. If you hear noise, they are no good, they should be silent. If you hear noise, and they do need to be replaced I doubt it has to do with the YB.

I really really doubt some YB-4 hurt your bearings. Think about this logically. When two pieces wear, the harder wears slower. Which is harder, a nice precision ground bearing, or some tacky sealant shit? I'll choose the bearing.

To check use the screwdriver to your ear method while turning the crank kinda fast. If you hear noise, they are no good, they should be silent. If you hear noise, and they do need to be replaced I doubt it has to do with the YB.

I dont know, but thats what was in them and they are pretty damn stiff to turn now. Just seemed a little excessive on the yamabond with it running in everything.

damn !!! my buddy over did mine last spring, but not even close to that ! all of mine uzed on the out side of the cases. had to get a rubber mallet to bust the cases apart (found out tranny was stuck after we got it together). it crank didnt mess up the cases did it ?

Yeah, thats why its a great idea to use caulking in say.. Wheel bearings.. :rolleyes:

Please correct me if Iam wrong but wouldn't a shit load of that stuff being in there hurt the lubricating potential???

Therefore potentialy hurting the bearings?

Whatever.. The point is, if someone pays to have a motor assembled there shouldn't be overly excessive amount of sealer INSIDE.. I understand there will be some insidel, but whats in there I would think would be cause for concern and a rightfully so, unhappy customer..

RIPPEN