Roundslide VS. Flatslide Carbs

Just was wondering whats really the big difference besides the obvious shape in slide. Flat better than round? Or is round more universal and easier to tune? thanks in advance!! :thumbsup:

flat slide (D) carbs have a shorter passages , Less disruption of air flow in venturi gives carbs better response and power.

the round slide in the stock carbs is a little smoother and less thottle responsive in comparison , longer distance to chamber .

i like flat slides and i love air strikers the quad vent flat slides , there is never any hesitation even if the throttle is slamed wide open under rough conditions ( high speed bumps) /whoops , it wont bog out by a fuel cloged vents more vents more air .

okay after all this said they are basically the same but just few differences. If the flatslides are closer to the intakes would that equal better throttle response? got stockers on my shee right now just lookin at future options

A Flat Slide Carb is for a 4 stroke. It has an accelerator pump. When you opean the throttle up it squirts fuel in to the engine.

ummmm, no, keihin PWK's are flat slide carbs, and they have no accelerator pumps, it all depends on the carb. i.e. the keihin FCR's are flat slide but they do have an accelerator pump, those are 4-stroke carbs, PWK's are considered a 2-stroke carb...

ummmm, no, keihin PWK's are flat slide carbs, and they have no accelerator pumps, it all depends on the carb. i.e. the keihin FCR's are flat slide but they do have an accelerator pump, those are 4-stroke carbs, PWK's are considered a 2-stroke carb...

PWK doesnt have a flat slide. It has a D shaped slide.

Keihin PWK LINK

PJ's are Oval

Keihin PJ LINK

PE's are Round

Keihin PE Link

FCR's are Flat

Keihin FCR LINK

PWK doesnt have a flat slide. It has a D shaped slide.

Keihin PWK LINK

PJ's are Oval

Keihin PJ LINK

PE's are Round

Keihin PE Link

FCR's are Flat

Keihin FCR LINK

i knew that, wasn't thinking very hard last night, really shouldn't mix this place with alchohol...lol, i let the fact that the intake side of slide on the PWK is flat confuse me, wasn't thinkin about the whole slide...

i knew that, wasn't thinking very hard last night, really shouldn't mix this place with alchohol...lol, i let the fact that the intake side of slide on the PWK is flat confuse me, wasn't thinkin about the whole slide...

Its no biggie just giveing ya some crap. I got a raptor 660 too so when I hear Flat Slide. I think of Keihin's FCR's.

• 3 weeks later...

Just was wondering whats really the big difference besides the obvious shape in slide. Flat better than round? Or is round more universal and easier to tune? thanks in advance!! :thumbsup:

[/quote

simply put, it's been proven that flat slide carbs flow better and provide superior throttle response to round slides. the reason for this is because of the shorter distance across the slide. the needle jet is centered on both the round slide and the flat slide, but because the distance is shorter on the flatslide,vacuum increases more quickly and results in stronger carb signal for the needle jet to react to.this improves fuel delivery. also, a round slide creates a "turbulence pillow" directly over the needle jet that results in a weaker low end. the narrower flat slide eliminates this problem. because of the stronger signal,fuel is pulled further into the airstream and improves atomization which inturn,improves throttle reponse, power and fuel economy. as the flow increases with rpm's,the real advantage of the flat slide over the round is most noticeable at wide open throttle.

Edited by the grinch