33pwk broken floats....

wacko2000

Well tell me what you see and help me if you can.. I bought these carbs from member on the HQ, wont reviel his name just yet....

I just took the bowls off to check what jets where in there and clean everything and this is what I found......

What the hell happened here?

I dont even know what to say..

Also the jets that where in the carbs where different..

Mains- 170rd and 170

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

I am not for sure if it affects jetting. I have never done that mod just herd about it. I run a dual outlet petcock on my tank.

For jetting start out at what ever your builder recomended. If you have nothign to go by then here is a start.

165 main

CEL needle on the middle clip

Pilot 50 or 48 with the air screw turned 2 turns out.

You should get a sync tool so you can have the idle screws in sync and the throttle cable in sync.

josh

Yea my builder gave me a starting point, Im more concerned about the float problem right know..

I dont know if I can leave it like that right know or I have to buy new floats..

when the carbs are up side down and the bowls are off and I push on the float or tap them, there is no play or anything, its like they are sitting on the bottom of the bowl...they just dont seem right..Isnt there suppose to be alittle bounce or something

I dont know with the floats. Put the carbs on and hook the fuel up and see if fuel comes out of the hose on the carb bowl. If it does then the float hight is set wrong. You should be able to use the carbs that way cause people have ran them that way. Probably not a bad idea if your going to be using the stock petcock and go for wot blast down long straighaways. It is the cheaper solution instead of buying bigger billit fuel bowls.

Maybe some body on here that has done this modd will chime in.

josh

Edited by jbooker82

only time I have seen the floats cut was when they where converted to alky. It will run with one cut, but it may run like crap down low! Your dealer ship should be able to get the floats for ya. Do you have another set of mains to compare the ones at are in it to?? Only thing I would be worried about is if the mains and dumps where drilled for alky. If they where, you will never get them jetted for gas!

get a drill index and see what size drill bit will fit down the dump tube and report back

only time I have seen the floats cut was when they where converted to alky. It will run with one cut, but it may run like crap down low! Your dealer ship should be able to get the floats for ya. Do you have another set of mains to compare the ones at are in it to?? Only thing I would be worried about is if the mains and dumps where drilled for alky. If they where, you will never get them jetted for gas!

get a drill index and see what size drill bit will fit down the dump tube and report back

Yep...pretty much what I told him in PM AND on this thread, same issue....

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry746937

Yea my builder gave me a starting point, Im more concerned about the float problem right know..

I dont know if I can leave it like that right know or I have to buy new floats..

when the carbs are up side down and the bowls are off and I push on the float or tap them, there is no play or anything, its like they are sitting on the bottom of the bowl...they just dont seem right..Isnt there suppose to be alittle bounce or something

You are supposed to check the float level with the carb on it's side and measure where the float stops while tilting it just enough to get the float to move until it tops out (closes) the float valve. Item #8.

Parts List:

http://www.keihin-us.com/am/_media/pdf/pwk_parts.pdf

Carb Tuning and Float Height/Adjustment:

http://www.keihin-us.com/am/_media/pdf/slide_valve.pdf

I know what my expectation is when I buy parts...and it may differ from others, but it is the same one I use when I sell them too!!

I believe in full disclosure of all modifications or imperfections and I expect parts to be the same between components that are supposed to be a mirror image matched set...like jets should be from the same manufacturer to remove ANY possibility of inconsistency...but like I said, that is just me.

Personally, I'd want dual floater floats in my carbs. Their buoyancy is what regulates fuel from under or over-flowing your carb which can lead to inconsistent fuel levels...richening your A/F while you ride. So if you jet after reading/plug chopping an artificially rich run, you could actually be jetting significantly lean overall.

I think this result will be magnified by how smooth or bumpy the terrain is, so you can never get your jetting as consistent as it can or should be. Plus, the main reason for 2 floats is that if you have a float on only one side is: say your float is on the Right side and you turn Left...the level remains relatively constant. But if you turn Right, the fuel sloshes over to the left side of the float bowl, unloading the single float on the right side...adding fuel because the carb thinks it needs it...even though it doesn't. You finish your turn and you are now running rich.

We all know that jetting is one of the most critical settings on our motors... :whistling:

See my Avatar!! :yelrotflmao:

I'm not trying to step on anyone...especially someone on the HQ, but maybe if you had been told of the mods before you paid...you might have made a different purchase or price decision since floats run about $35-$40 each.

Edited by jayzx750