Stator and Coil

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this thread helped me alot. I am having spark issues right now and according to the service book the damn coil is bad. So I shell out the $65 and get a new one that also tests bad.wtf... I can't believe the factory service book is just plain WRONG! Unbelivable... Even my local quad dealers book (a 2007 version) still says to check the secondary coil incorrectly.mad!!! Makes me really think twice about buying a Yamaha again. Jerry

So I was riding glamis, about 3 miles from camp and the shee just died, not ripping, just rolling along about 1/4 throttle. anyway, tried new plugs, nothing, no spark at all. So the shee sat the entire weekend and i rode my CRF450. Anyway, i have since tested my electrical system. Kill switch is good, key is good, pickup is good, stator winding is BAD. Also, my coil is testing bad on the secondary test. Primary between the two terminals is testing good but as soon as i go to test between terminal and plug cap (with or without the cap on) i get OL no resistance. so which did i lose first? The coil, then the stator, or the stator then the coil? They would have had to go out simultaneously right? Did the stator fry the coil. Anyway, gonna order a new coil and stator in the next few days. Saw some discussion on ricky stator products, other options? comments please!!!

try new plug caps. or take the existing caps off and check the secondary winding resistance.