Scared Shittless to tap my carbs

Another tech tip. if you are worried about those chips getting everywhere inside the carbs dip the tap in bearing grease before you start tapping the carb body.

It serves 2 purposes, lubrication and it catches the chips :thumbsup:

I wouldn't use a bench grinder on anything aluminum unless its a belt sander. Aluminum will load up the wheel and can become unsafe. Just a word of advice.

A stone wheel will load up with aluminum and get really hot.

I've heard one explode b4. It wasn't good. The guy using it

didn't get hurt but he coud have.

This can be very important.

I like the broom handle idea.

You can feel the crunching when doing the tap. That's done by hand not a drill. When you feel extra resistance back it out some so the metal can clean out of the tap. dajogejr is right ... in and out... smooth and steady... you know the drill... do you have kids. :cool:

damn u got to it first but ill say it any way...

nice and slow in and out then stop rub it a little and apply a little oil to lube it up then slowly go in then pull it out a little.

ya'll get it just takes practice haah

tapping is the bane of my existence and it's terrible, but it was 0-80 into 304ss...............

anyway, it's really simple. I just breezed through the thread, but be sure only tap a few threads at a time. meaning, twist it in 2-3 turns, then back it out a turn. not so important in AL, but it does help break up the chips. I am against the grease idea, as most tapping fluids are thin for a reason.

Another thing to think about is that is you're tapping shitty aluminum. It's gummy and won't break up like good 6061.