Scared Shittless to tap my carbs

pretty much what the tittle says

scared to screw up the trads .. im going to be using a hand drill how hard is it to screw it up?

Using a drill press and a fixture makes such operations less scarey.

The drilling is the easy part. The tapping is the hard part. :biggrin:

Little hint, put a broom handle or something inside the carb so if you go through fast you wont ding the inside of the carb with the drill bit.

I would not tap using a drill.

You should get a tapping handle and start the threads slowly by hand.

That way you will have a little more control.

If you get the tap cocked with the drill and pull the trigger you will cross thread

really quickly.

well the drilling im not worried about i just dont know how to tap .. where do i get a taping tool?

could i use a bench grinder to grind down the boss fr the nuts on the idle screws?

i just dont want to screw up the threads for tapping!?

I used a flat file to take down the bosses, and the tap should come with the TORS removal kit you got, and the tool to hold the tap is at any auto parts store. Be sure to use lots of oil when tapping, and go slow.

Because the hole already exists, you're just punching it all the way through, this is very easy to do.

As said, put a small screwdriver handle, wooden dowel or something in the carb so you don't nick the other side.

I've done plenty removals with a hand drill and a open end/box end wrench or small adjustable...

Make sure you use WD40 or other lube/cutting agent when taping it...aluminum is very soft stuff.

I highly recommend disassembling the WHOLE carb removing all the brass. Any of those shavings can plug the small holes in a jet and leave you second guessing yourself for a long time.

I use an angle grinder with a scotchbrite pad to sand down and flatten the boss out, then drill and tap it.

Use hot soapy water to clean them, and compressed air to blow it all out. Take your time, really...it's no big deal.

If you are really, really that nervous about it, PM me...and you can send them to me. No charge, just pay for shipping to and from me, I'll have them both done in less than an hour.

well is there a certain presure to tap them like does it just pull itself through the whole like how does it stay the same mm of threading?

my carbs are off and all im just waiting on the kit which i well get for christmas

im just so worried about tapping them i have no clue how it works . i know what to d just dont want to screw it up

so could i use a bench grinder for the bosses

You can use a bench grinder as well, CAREFULLY....the left carb is a bear because of the fuel inlet being so close.

The tap cuts new threads in the aluminium...just a soft, steady...easy pressure.

Aluminium is so soft, it cuts threads like butter...

Remember, once you get it started, 1/2 turn in, back it out...you'll feel the resistance when cutting new threads, and it'll be totally opposite when you're backing it out to clean the already cut threads..

Honestly, no big deal...just use caution and clean them very, very thoroughly when done...

Yeah, what he said ^.

Once the threads have been started (1.5 to 2 full turns)

the tap will just pull itself thru while you turn it. No need to

add any pressure after the start.

You can use a bench grinder as well, CAREFULLY....the left carb is a bear because of the fuel inlet being so close.

Remember, once you get it started, 1/2 turn in, back it out...you'll feel the resistance when cutting new threads, and it'll be totally opposite when you're backing it out to clean the already cut threads..

This can be very important.

I like the broom handle idea.

You can feel the crunching when doing the tap. That's done by hand not a drill. When you feel extra resistance back it out some so the metal can clean out of the tap. dajogejr is right ... in and out... smooth and steady... you know the drill... do you have kids. :cool: