Possible fraud?

I just bought an 05. Everything seemed legit yesterday but today things are looking fishy. I paid 3800 for it, kt motor, cpi's, bigger carbs, extended rear. I want a dune bike but figured I could sell the drag cylinders and make a stroker like my last bike.

I went and rode it today, immediately noticed the rear of the case was broke above the chain, didnt hurt anything but I wished the guy would have pointed it out. Also the frame doesnt have the uprights in front of the motor, they are gone. The rear frame is not a stock banshee it is welded on chromoly like one of those kits. The biggest issue is the vin, it is titled as an 05, but the vin is Utah state issued and 8 digits long. Where do I scrape through the powdercoat and find the yami vin at?

Also can I trace the motor origin? It has 2GU-004134 on it. I am just trying to see if I am ok on this or not. It is a nice bike and likely worth the price but he assured me it was all 05.

Thanks for any help!!!

I just bought an 05. Everything seemed legit yesterday but today things are looking fishy. I paid 3800 for it, kt motor, cpi's, bigger carbs, extended rear. I want a dune bike but figured I could sell the drag cylinders and make a stroker like my last bike.

I went and rode it today, immediately noticed the rear of the case was broke above the chain, didnt hurt anything but I wished the guy would have pointed it out. Also the frame doesnt have the uprights in front of the motor, they are gone. The rear frame is not a stock banshee it is welded on chromoly like one of those kits. The biggest issue is the vin, it is titled as an 05, but the vin is Utah state issued and 8 digits long. Where do I scrape through the powdercoat and find the yami vin at?

Also can I trace the motor origin? It has 2GU-004134 on it. I am just trying to see if I am ok on this or not. It is a nice bike and likely worth the price but he assured me it was all 05.

Thanks for any help!!!

All i can tell you is that the vin is under the fly wheel cover on the frame

If he had bought a replacement frame from a yamaha dealer.....it will not have a stamped VIN on it......so a VIN plate or sticker issued by the state is required. Either the frame was an 05 model or that is the years he had it titled for the first time. Either way, you'll probably never know for sure. Good luck though :blush:

Some bikes sold in some states dont even have vin's cause the state may be a non-title state. Now if the frame has been chopped and stuff added, that was up to you to notice. If the bike got titled as a utah bike, chances are its either a wrecked rebuilt, a once non-titled bike that had to be registered, or its a frame up build. If the vin is clean, then dont worry about it. Its up to you though on the other stuff, you have to look it over before you pay. No one else can do that.

Edited by Snopczynski

I looked it over pretty well and probably got a decent deal but I am just annoyed with the whole situation. I called the guy last nite and he now is saying that when the bike was endoed the frame got bent. So the guy who did it bought him a new frame from yamaha. Is there any markings on a frame from yami to identify it with? Before he told me it got endoed and the tail got bent, that is why it had the changed rear bars. Now I call him out on it he changes things up, he said he knew the case was broke but it didnt hurt it so he didnt mention it. He also said the bike was yellow and black stock, I said where the black paint on the plastics was worn down they were blue. He changed his story again. It is cool, its a nice bike, but the kid could have been a little more upfront, it also feels like it has a bent shift fork, I doubt the engine is an 05.

I havent seen too many banshees without the chain whack, that's pretty normal. It usually doesnt affect anything, and you can even take a die gridner and clean it up.

As for the VIN, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. In NJ anyway, if you buy just a frame brand new, or make a frame from scratch, it won't have a VIN, the state will issue you a VIN, and it's up to you to put it on the frame somehow. Not everyone does that, but you could get into trouble for it.

If you have a title or registration and there isnt a VIN on the frame, you have to do 2 things:

1- Have DMV run the VIN you have, and make sure it isn't stolen, etc.

2- Get that VIN number on the frame, and then register it/title it in your name.

You might want to check with your state's law just to be certain, but thats how it works here in NJ.

I looked it over pretty well and probably got a decent deal but I am just annoyed with the whole situation. I called the guy last nite and he now is saying that when the bike was endoed the frame got bent. So the guy who did it bought him a new frame from yamaha. Is there any markings on a frame from yami to identify it with? Before he told me it got endoed and the tail got bent, that is why it had the changed rear bars. Now I call him out on it he changes things up, he said he knew the case was broke but it didnt hurt it so he didnt mention it. He also said the bike was yellow and black stock, I said where the black paint on the plastics was worn down they were blue. He changed his story again. It is cool, its a nice bike, but the kid could have been a little more upfront, it also feels like it has a bent shift fork, I doubt the engine is an 05.

Sounds to me like you caught him more off guard than anything. Course, even if he is lying and making up stories, you went and bought it in person. You saw it before you paid. Its not up to him to tell you the truth, it isn't ebay.

I hate to say it, maybe Im the somewhat same way. Im not going to screw somebody over on something (I wouldn't lie about it). But Im sure not going to tell them anything that happened to the quad that isn't obvious. I'm trying to sell it, its the best/fastest four wheeler ever built, of course nothings wrong with it. They have every chance to look it over, ride it, evaluate it for themselves, and decide if they think its worth what Im asking.

I'm trying to sell it, its the best/fastest four wheeler ever built, of course nothings wrong with it. They have every chance to look it over, ride it, evaluate it for themselves, and decide if they think its worth what Im asking.

Yeapperrrs

anyway all good all good info. i was wondering about my sheevin's