Long Rod question

CombatTalon2

Ok, so my engine is a 66.50mm bore. Yeah i know, im pretty thin! Stock stroke, 5mm long rod. Im running the blaster pistons and as far as i'm aware everything else is standard banshee stuff. I'm in the process of talking to David Noss to get my custom domes built and he expressed some confusion on my setup. While measuring my deck height i found that my pistons don't protrude out of the cylinder, or even come close to being even with the top of the cylinder. Actually im about 1.15mm down in the cylinder. Now the standard banshee domes that i was running have a .85mm depth, giving me 2mm (.079") squish measurement. So i guess my question is this normal for a 370 Long rod running blaster pistons?

David is gonna make me some domes with no gap between where the head meets the cylinder (meaning the curvature of the dome starts right where the head meets the cylinder) This is inline with what the stock milled head looks like. this will also give me a squish of about .043 which from what i read is about right. A hell of a lot better than .080 like it was.

generally...people use the 795 series pistons for the long rod motors. However, as I'm sure you know...they don't make them larger than 66.00 mm.

Blaster pistons have the same pin location as the 795, but I'm pretty sure the crown is in fact different.

Do you think it's worth your time and money to have a set of domes cut for a motor on it's last bore, and on borrowed time as is?

I agree the squish should be tighter, but you could use thinner base gaskets to tighten it up for now, then get new cylinders or yours re sleeved properly and use 795 series and a more standard cut dome....

Just throwing ideas out there....

or you could shave .020 to .030 off the tops of the cylinders.... There's more than a few ways to skin a cat..>:)

generally...people use the 795 series pistons for the long rod motors. However, as I'm sure you know...they don't make them larger than 66.00 mm.

Blaster pistons have the same pin location as the 795, but I'm pretty sure the crown is in fact different.

Do you think it's worth your time and money to have a set of domes cut for a motor on it's last bore, and on borrowed time as is?

I agree the squish should be tighter, but you could use thinner base gaskets to tighten it up for now, then get new cylinders or yours re sleeved properly and use 795 series and a more standard cut dome....

or you could shave .020 to .030 off the tops of the cylinders.... There's more than a few ways to skin a cat..>:)

Yes, this is normal ,Blaster pistons are shorter that 795's from the pin the the top edge. The crown is also different and displaces much less volume than a banshee piston so the cc's of your domes will be different than your used to running with regular banshee pistons for the same given fuel choice...Jim

Edited by PassionRE

All good points. I want to ride it obviously, and would like it to run good for whatever length of time i get out of it, so I guess spending the 70 bucks to get the right domes is really no big deal. Cutting some off the cylinder would be good if i could find someone to do it and make sure both cylinders remained the same height. The 20cc banshee domes i was running were only 66mm. Dont know if that would cause any problems with anything since im at 66.50 now?

I dont know what my plans are for when its time to do my top end again. Either cheap cylinders off ebay, and paying again for porting, or just go with a cub. Who knows!

Thanks for the replies!

All good points. I want to ride it obviously, and would like it to run good for whatever length of time i get out of it, so I guess spending the 70 bucks to get the right domes is really no big deal. Cutting some off the cylinder would be good if i could find someone to do it and make sure both cylinders remained the same height. The 20cc banshee domes i was running were only 66mm. Dont know if that would cause any problems with anything since im at 66.50 now?

I dont know what my plans are for when its time to do my top end again. Either cheap cylinders off ebay, and paying again for porting, or just go with a cub. Who knows!

Thanks for the replies!

I'd get a cheetah cylinder with powevalves If I were you...based on your suspension setup, you're a duner more than a drag racer...

David is gonna make me some domes with no gap between where the head meets the cylinder (meaning the curvature of the dome starts right where the head meets the cylinder) This is inline with what the stock milled head looks like. this will also give me a squish of about .043 which from what i read is about right. A hell of a lot better than .080 like it was.

from what my builder has told me, between .040 and .045 squish is usually the best spot. i'm running .035 squish in mine, but i drag only with 110 and nitro.

Yes, this is normal ,Blaster pistons are shorter that 795's from the pin the the top edge. The crown is also different and displaces much less volume than a banshee piston so the cc's of your domes will be different than your used to running with regular banshee pistons for the same given fuel choice...Jim

Yep :thumbsup:

Talk with Noss Machine. He cut me a custom set of domes after I had given him a squish clearance. They are right on. Mine were for a 4mill stock cylinder running blaster pistons.