New chain feels too short

I got a new chain and cut it down to as many links as my old one (100). I have the Roll design swing arm.

The old chain was ofcourse stretched a bit so it fitted fine but the new was a bit tricky to mount.

I had to remove the lower front chain roll to install it and it does feel a bit short but when I tried with a second chain lock to make it longer it became a bit too long...

It feels like a have the right amount of links but I need to ride a bite to stretch the new chain and then re-install the front roll. Is this standard procedure?

did you change sprockets???gearing???

I've got stock 14 front/41 rear sprockets. New ones as well. The same gearing as before.

Yes the old chain was a bit stretched, but when it was new (when the owner before me baught it) it should have been as long as mine is now with the same amount of links.

I've got the carrier for the tarperd berings, I'm not sure it can be adjusted...?

MY MAN, PICS WOULD HELP. ALL CARRIERS HAVE AN ADJUSTMENT FOR THE CHAIN. loosen it and roll it forward.

This is the carrier on my bike. There are a lot of holes but I don't see how the length of the chain can be adjusted...

post-26818-1194218675.jpg

shouldnt a banshee chain be 107 link?

104 is stock, I cut mine to 100 since my roll design swing arm is shorter.

I took a closer look at my carrier and it can be adjusted. The holes are for a wrench, to turn the whole carrier so the lenght varies. Some problems you have to look a twice or more to solve. Thanks a lot guys

see them holes on the side of the carrier. they are for the chain tension. loosen the pinch bolts on the back of the carrier. stick a pin wrench or punch in them holes, rotate the carrier forward. put your chain on. rotate it back to the desired tension.

Plus you can look at the picture of your carrier and it looks to me like your offset is pointed back, which is the tightest position for your chain. If the offset is in front then you have all the adjustment left in it. When you check the slack you should also be on your bike, so it is compressed, then put a tape from the ground up. When you move the middle of the chain up and down it should move around 1", exactly like it shows in the Clymer's. If you have it too tight, you will snap your chain and possibly do some damage.

see them holes on the side of the carrier. they are for the chain tension. loosen the pinch bolts on the back of the carrier. stick a pin wrench or punch in them holes, rotate the carrier forward. put your chain on. rotate it back to the desired tension.

Yup, what he said :thumbsup: