Thinner Base Gasket

flattrakker

I dont see how it could. If you think about it....A thinner gasket will just change how far in or out of the cylinder the piston will be. Basically changing your "squish" as everyone here calls it. It will do nothing to make your combustion chamber smaller which is what milling the head will do.

I dont see how it could. If you think about it....A thinner gasket will just change how far in or out of the cylinder the piston will be. Basically changing your "squish" as everyone here calls it. It will do nothing to make your combustion chamber smaller which is what milling the head will do.

running a thinner bas gasket will put the piston (@tdc) closer to the dome of the head, which will slightly inrease compression, it is sorta the same effect of putting a taller domed piston in a motor, but on these motors i would not suggest it as it will also effect you port timing.. i would shave the head.. its not that big of a job.. takes 5 minutes to take it off

You can run a thinner base gasket. Cometic sells a High Performance gasket kit that comes with some super thin base gaskets. They are about like a sheet of note book paper. It will change the squish clearance (distance between the Piston, and Head). I have herd of people running no base gasket at all. Just some yambond sealant. They do that go get the proper squish clearance, and not really to raise compression. You use yambond to seal the case halfs. The case halfs are subject to the same pressure and chemicals as the seal inbetween the cylinders and cases.

I would just use regular gaskets and have the stock head shaved, or get a cool head. That way you dont have to buy a $40 gasket kit to get some special gaskets to help raise compression everytime you tear it appart.

Plus the gaskets just raise the compression a little. Not really worth the 40 bucks the gasket kit costs.