clutch basket questions...

ok, i screwed up big time. i was trying to put my motor back together and ended up snapping 2 fingers off of my clutch basket. it was pure stupidity how i did it (grrrrrrrr, at myself). anyway, i thought no big deal i have a whole clutch sitting in a box. i go pull the clutch out of the box and pull it apart to get the clutch basket and find grooves in fingers in the basket. now that brings me to my questions.

1. can you fix a basket that has grooves (these are pretty deep)?

2. what causes the basket to get grooved (so i can avoid this happening in the future)?

3. is it normal for a clutch basket and gear to have play, like you can grab the basket in one hand and the gear in the other and turn the gear about 1/4 of an inch? i thought this was a bad thing, but then i thought maybe it was normal because both clutch baskets i had did this, but now i'm not sure again because after finding the massive grooves in the other basket... i do have a clymer manual but i didn't see anything about it in there.

i just want to get this thing put together and running. i bought this thing in parts and have been piecing it together over the 9 months (total time spent actually working on it... maybe 4 hours). so any help would be greatly appreciated.

also if somebody has a decent clutch basket they are willing to part with for way cheap let me know.

ok, i screwed up big time. i was trying to put my motor back together and ended up snapping 2 fingers off of my clutch basket. it was pure stupidity how i did it (grrrrrrrr, at myself). anyway, i thought no big deal i have a whole clutch sitting in a box. i go pull the clutch out of the box and pull it apart to get the clutch basket and find grooves in fingers in the basket. now that brings me to my questions.

1. can you fix a basket that has grooves (these are pretty deep)?

2. what causes the basket to get grooved (so i can avoid this happening in the future)?

3. is it normal for a clutch basket and gear to have play, like you can grab the basket in one hand and the gear in the other and turn the gear about 1/4 of an inch? i thought this was a bad thing, but then i thought maybe it was normal because both clutch baskets i had did this, but now i'm not sure again because after finding the massive grooves in the other basket... i do have a clymer manual but i didn't see anything about it in there.

i just want to get this thing put together and running. i bought this thing in parts and have been piecing it together over the 9 months (total time spent actually working on it... maybe 4 hours). so any help would be greatly appreciated.

also if somebody has a decent clutch basket they are willing to part with for way cheap let me know.

#1 No you can really fix it. You can file it down but there will still be play between the basket and fibers.

#2The fiber plates moving around is what causes it to happen. Once you give it a little play it will happen faster.

#3 No that is not normal. The only way to fix it is to get a new OEM Basket, or (the better option) Get a billit basket and put your gear on the basket.

the movement is normal

the clutches are put together with cushions on either side of those four pins that hold it together. i have taken a few apart now, and there is room in there for movement (radially)

i would file the fingers down on the grooved basket for now and run that. if you dont like the way clutch works, then buy a new basket, but try it first, i have filed baskets before and been happy with the clutch action.

one tip though is dont mix and match the drive gears for extended periods of time. if you have the crank gear to suit the spare basket you have swap it with the one on your crank.

cool i think i will try to file the grooves out and run it for now just to get it put together and then replace it when i have the money.

4 stroker,

could i just take the gear off of the broken basket (the one that was originally in there) and put it on the other basket? or is it not worth it?

and thank you both for the responses.

cool i think i will try to file the grooves out and run it for now just to get it put together and then replace it when i have the money.

4 stroker,

could i just take the gear off of the broken basket (the one that was originally in there) and put it on the other basket? or is it not worth it?

and thank you both for the responses.

you could try that however when i tried it i cracked the basket due to the nature of how you have to attach it

this is what i did (prolly wrong but anyway..)

1.ground down the end of the four pins (rivets) holding the basket on the gear

2. knocked em out of there with a punch

3. made up four new rivets on the lathe

4. slotted them all in and tried to "rivet" them on by punching the end of them to get them to mushroom out over the plate on the back of the gear

i was very careful and used a small drift on the other side of the rivet but even still i cracked the basket

im not sure how a billet basket attachs (mines on order) but im sure this procedure would work because it would be much harder to crack the billet basket, compared to the stock cast one

file the grooved basket you have and run that until you haved saved enough pennys for a billet!

im not sure how a billet basket attachs (mines on order) but im sure this procedure would work because it would be much harder to crack the billet basket, compared to the stock cast one

They bolt on with recessed allen head bolts. The allen head bolts go on the back side of the basket.

I got my hindson bran new off of ebay for 100 bucks. Guy had it listed wrong so no one else found it to bid against me. :yelrotflmao:

100_2623.jpg