brakes

ringadingding

i rode my mates honda 450 r a couple of months ago and was impressed with the stopping power of his front brakes and was wondering how to improve the banshee.Has any one out there modified there brakes, if so what did you change,i tried a search but did,nt find much.I know the banshee is heavier and older but the difference is night and day. I noticed the honda has twin piston callipers and the banshee single,is this where the stopping power is or at the master cylinder or both.any help would be great thanks.

i rode my mates honda 450 r a couple of months ago and was impressed with the stopping power of his front brakes and was wondering how to improve the banshee.Has any one out there modified there brakes, if so what did you change,i tried a search but did,nt find much.I know the banshee is heavier and older but the difference is night and day. I noticed the honda has twin piston callipers and the banshee single,is this where the stopping power is or at the master cylinder or both.any help would be great thanks.

The brakes from a Yamaha YFZ450 will mount right up. They are 2 piston and should help out. Consider a pad change....that may be all you need in conjunction with a set of braided lines.....

yea, swapping out the stock rubber lines for braided lines will make a huge improvement. i would do that first then swap calipers if your brakes still seem to be lacking what your looking for...

do the stock rubber lines expand and stretch enough to make the brakes "mushy"? I guess I've just never really had any problems with the front brakes not wanting to throw my ass over the bars, but then again, I only ride in the sand.

how? wants make them any better than stock other than they wont brake or rust how it make u stop better?

From the frame to the brake caliper the brake line is rubber. When you put on the brakes you increase the pressure. That causes the fluid to push on the piston and aply the brakes. That pressure also causes your rubber brake hoses to swell. Stainless steel lines dont swell there for you apply more force to the caliper.

Go out to your banshee and squeez the breaks. watch the rubber hose. You can see it happen.

how? wants make them any better than stock other than they wont brake or rust how it make u stop better?

Stainless braided lines do not expand or swell when the brakes are applied and pressure is built like rubber lines do. The more they expand and swell, the less pressure you're going to have at the calipers. If they are old and been in the heat, they break down and expand just like old radiator hoses on a car. Same reason any REAL race car has all braided lines, gotta stop all that speed....

Plus they look cool, and won't rub and wear and eventually bust like the rubber lines. :thumbsup:

Edited by Shee's Dirty

Stainless braided lines do not expand or swell when the brakes are applied and pressure is built like rubber lines do. The more they expand and swell, the less pressure you're going to have at the calipers. If they are old and been in the heat, they break down and expand just like old radiator hoses on a car. Same reason any REAL race car has all braided lines, gotta stop all that speed....

Plus they look cool, and won't rub and wear and eventually bust like the rubber lines. :thumbsup:

First of all, brake lines DO NOT slow your bike down faster. If that were the case then my daily driver would be a braking beast. Stainless brake lines prevent flexing and give you a more linear and consistent feel. If you wanna upgrade the brakes, then you should go with the YFZ calipers since they have one extra piston which will provide more clamping force. After that you should pick up a more aggressive pad that really does some work. Upgrading pads might be all you really need. I don't know why everyone believes this, pic up any motorhead magazine and they will all tell you the same, brake pedal feel is better and brakes are more responsive to inputs. The brake lines have nothing to do with the actual stopping of a wheel. The pads, rotors, calipers, and tires do the work. The nicest thing about the YFZ calipers is they reduce weight.

First of all, brake lines DO NOT slow your bike down faster. If that were the case then my daily driver would be a braking beast. Stainless brake lines prevent flexing and give you a more linear and consistent feel.

yes, but it does give you more braking power, even in your daily, however it's harder to tell when it's going through a power brake system as compred to a hand lever on a 350lb. machine. rather than the excess pressure pushing / expanding the rubber tubing. With stainless lines, your getting 100% of the line pressure to your pads, where before, you may have been getting 60%.

Lots of time and experience with the banshee and I assure you, if your calipers and pads are in good shape, upgrading to stainless lines will give more stopping power. Change the lines and pads, order them at RMATV and you should be happier. You can always upgrade to the YFZ calipers but you'll be powering them through the crappy Banshee lines and not getting full power. One of the positive brake upgrades on the YFZ, and other newer quads, are higher quality lines, not just caliper upgrades.

If steel brake lines dont give you better stopping power, then how come I went from stopping to being able to do endo's with just changing the brake lines......nothing else?

I got a good deal on them, and I was getting +2's soon....swapped them out and could stop a ton quicker and harder.