Reed Spacer Disscussion

bk_banshee

I always put mine inbetween the cylinders and the intakes

That is good general area to start in. :biggrin:

Inbetween the Cylinders and the Reeds or inbetween the Reeds and the intake boots?

If I ran them I would put them in between the Reeds and the Cylinders. That is how they are supose to go.

Jeremy_sPassionEngine.jpg

Has anyone looked to see if the reed spacers, if installed between the Cylinder and the reedblock, cause your reeds to hit the inside wall of the intake on the cylinder preventing them from opening all the way?

I ask this as I have seen 1/2 and 3/4 spacers being sold and have always wondered.

2 other interesting topics. I have seen a gain by adding some tubing between the air filter and carb much like a 250R intake boot. This is adding more velocity to the air on the intake ans creating less turbulant air around the carb.

Could adding a more space between the carb and the reeds allow the fuel to atomize better and allow more fuel through the reeds? Now I know we are talking about slight differences which might not be measureable but it does have some good theory for thought and makes for a good discussion.

I didn't know that the spacers did anything.(performance wise) I run mine between cyl and reeds for the purpose of getting the carb bowl off the clutch arm.

that has always been an argument... pretty much everyone will say they are for simply moving the carbs away from the arm.

others will say they add power by emulsification and intake velocity.

and just today i heard the first claim that they have actually seen it on a dyno that they made a gain.

i have not personally see any proff that they provided any more power at any range. doesnt mean it isnt possible. i just dought it...

that has always been an argument... pretty much everyone will say they are for simply moving the carbs away from the arm.

others will say they add power by emulsification and intake velocity.

and just today i heard the first claim that they have actually seen it on a dyno that they made a gain.

i have not personally see any proff that they provided any more power at any range. doesnt mean it isnt possible. i just dought it...

It's always worth the discussion. Nothing like trying to make the day go by faster.

What about the ide of the Tornado that runs in your cars intake? Why have throttl body spacers for cars? Why a High Rise manifold? Why scoops or Ram air intakes???? Measurable gains on a 350 Cubic In but what about CC's can any of these make a difference?

If you take car knowledge and Ideas can you improve the performance on Quads.????

Do you gain anything on a cranker having the air filters in front with the Fuel flowing the opposite way your going? More Velocity?

Greg This is directed at you just generalizations.

Has anyone looked to see if the reed spacers, if installed between the Cylinder and the reedblock, cause your reeds to hit the inside wall of the intake on the cylinder preventing them from opening all the way?

Your reeds dont opean that far especially if your running v force reeds. V force reeds use 4 reed pettals opeaing a smaller amount vs. the stock using 2 reed petals opeaing more. That is why v force reeds give better throttle responce. 2x as many lighter tension reed opeaning a smaller amount.

its funny that you bring up all of those topics... they have been talked about here and there and argued back and forth so much.

my .02 is that a motor is a motor. big or small what owrks on one will work on the other. i guess where alot of the argument comes from is that say the reed spacer thing actually add power in the form of .01 hp at 10k rpm... i wouldnt call thats a performance gain... by definition, yes its a gain becasue its more then you started with.

i know that the tornado thing does not work on cars cause they did it on myth busters. the idea seems that it would work though.

as far as the cranker i have no clue. it also seems like it would aid but just like the tornado it could be a myth.

My opinion on it all is as follows:

I think it is a bunch of hoopla It might work but I think the atmospheric presure, Tempature, and surfaces have more influence on a motor then any of these things I have brought up. I'm sure in NASCAR research they have come to some conclusions and have had measurable gains, hell they change tire preasure by the PSI, but on a quad it ain't doing to do squat.

They clear the clutch arm, unless you have a Cub/Cheetah/twister...then you don't need them.

Anyone that can show positive Dyno AND track time proof to state they will and can do otherwise, now is the time to pipe up.

When I had spacers and V3's, I had to machine/dremel the four inside corners to the cage would actually fit between the reeds and the cylinder.

You want the reeds and intakes as close as possible to the pistons....

That is good general area to start in. :biggrin:

Inbetween the Cylinders and the Reeds or inbetween the Reeds and the intake boots?

If I ran them I would put them in between the Reeds and the Cylinders. That is how they are supose to go.

Jeremy_sPassionEngine.jpg

Im an Idiot :laugh: I meant intbetween the cylinders and the reeds

Edited by WALLACE84