coolhead install tips

well i picked this up off of ebay

ff78_1_sbl.jpg

f8fb_0.jpg

and the seller told me i didn't need the extended studs for the head, but i thought i did, and i was wondering if somebody could tell me before i rip the stock head off and have it just sitting in the garage while i wait on studs to get here

thanks guys

josh

You want to have new orings for it as well. Don't use the old ones.

There's nothing to the assembly. Using a pinch of grease, run the rings thru your fingers. This will help those orings keep in place as you drop it in. Keeping the spark plugs on the domes will give you something to hold it from as you drop the bottom half in along with domes. Then place the next cool head plate over & ready to torque in increments of 5lbs. Follow the same pattern as shown on stock head.

Best advice I can give you for a coolhead is grease the hell out of the o-rings. If you dont grease them they fall off/out and you want to throw it across the garage.

cool cool guys, i just got the longer studs from my banshee guy down here, and i'm gonna have to put it together when i get home from school monday or maybe tommorow after i get home from muddin, but i did get new o rings so i should be ready to go but i cant get any race gas by 2morrow so yeah lol thanks guys

While you're at it...I put RTV on the studs. Put a dab on the threads when you screws them into the head....and put a dab on the studs before you put the nuts on them and torque it down.

I've always had issues sealing aftermarket heads in the center studs...a little RTV can go a long way...

Do you just use bearing grease?

I wouldnt recomend bearing grease. Use Vasoline or Petrolium Jelly. The vasoline will melt when the engine gets up to temperature. Bearing grease will not since it protects metal part over at least 300 deg. Get a chunk in the water jacket it is going to stay there. Or plug up a core in your radiaotor. Vasoline will melt and not plug up the cooling system. It porbably woudnt plug up the first time but if you do it enought times with bearing grease it could.

josh