Pictures of my plugs. I have the list of my current mods and the bike it not running right

Dgrey

2005 banshee I bought in 2006 and it already had

toomey t-5 pipes, a single K&N filter, and a milled head. The bike ran PERFECT ALL SEASON!

2 weeks ago I put on the recelty ported jugs (www.herrjugsracing.com)

Noss Head with 19cc domes

200 watt Ricky Stator with attached adjustable timing plate set to +6 (set to +6 per the builder that did the port)

K&N Filter pods

V force 3 reeds

3 stiffer clutch springs and a billet impellar

I also installed a toomey TORS elimination kit

I am still on stock carbs.

I have the bike running on 100 octane gas @ 32:1. He recommended that I start out with 350 jets and go down from there.

I took the bike down the street after the install and right when im hitting the power band it feels like its cutting out and it pops. I dont know if its "detonating" or what the sound is im not a pro by any means. I think maybe the 350's are to fat so I go down to 340's and it does the same thing. For ease of reading the spark plugs I install new ones every time I do the new jets. I have jetted a bike before it was a 99 CR 250. These plugs to me look like something is wrong! Is the bike running to lean? Is that why it pops? Why does it fall on its ASS when I hit the power band? I made sure that the carb slides were in correct and all that. Its weird because I can sit there when I first start it and it runs fine and I can rev it to the moon with no cut out.

Here are pictures of the spark plugs. The best pictures I could get.

SparkPlug003.jpg

SparkPlug001.jpg

Edited by Dgrey

Iam not sure if this is the problem,but are you float levels adjusted properly.Just a thought.

I never touched the floats at all so I am assuming that they are correct. They move up and down freely and there was 0 dirt/sand anywhere in the carbs when I had them off.

looks a little lean in my opinion... did it run fine until you changed the jugs,and the ricky stator??

i went through 3 stators from them... my bike bogged down on the top end a little sluggish i called them and mailed the stator back the 2nd one new out of the box had no spark.... so they sent me the 3rd one and night and day diffrence...... you might check that if it was running fine until you changed it

Is it poping like fire crackers or just bogging and cutting out?

What is your current jetting.

Main Jet =

Pilot Jet =

What kind of Needles=

What clip position =

Turn out on A/F Screws =

Cut all the threads off the spark plug with a hack saw or a dremel. Take a picture of that. What you need to look for is a 2mm ring around the base of the spark plug. Kind of like in these pics. Instead of cutting it like they did in the pics I just go clear around the spark plug and cut all the thread off. That way you dont damage what your going to be looking at with the saw blade.

plugs.jpg

Also it is hard to jet a bike on the street. I like to put a good load on my bike by screaming up a big hill when I am trying to figure my jetting out. If your just warming it up at your house and doing a quick blast down the street it could be your just not clearing it out. My banshee is slugish at first until I take it out and opean it up to clear it out for the fist time after I warm it up.

Is it poping like fire crackers or just bogging and cutting out?

I would say not TOTALLY like fire crackers. More like a black cat fire cracker every now and then but not perfectly in a row

What is your current jetting.

Main Jet = 340

Pilot Jet = Don't know whatever it had on it from ALBA when the previous owner installed t-5, single K&N and a milled head

What kind of Needles= Don't know whatever it had on it from ALBA when the previous owner installed t-5, single K&N and a milled head

What clip position = Don't know whatever it had on it from ALBA when the previous owner installed t-5, single K&N and a milled head

Turn out on A/F Screws = Don't know whatever it had on it from ALBA when the previous owner installed t-5, single K&N and a milled head

I just dont understand because the guy that did the port recommended everything that I have have and said that the 350 jets will most likely be fat and I would have to jet down.

This is really dissapointing and I may take it somewhere and have them fix the problems.

it really sucks going through all these process's to figure it out but your learning. I have done it numerous times and still post questions like this even though I know what should be going on. At least go up on the main jet, but you should def see where you stand with all the others setting as well like the pilot and needles, etc.

I just dont understand because the guy that did the port recommended everything that I have have and said that the 350 jets will most likely be fat and I would have to jet down.

This is really dissapointing and I may take it somewhere and have them fix the problems.

Dont get discouraged. It is hard tracking down a problem when you do a buunch of work at once. Next time you have the carbs appart check and see what size of pilot jet is in there, and what clip postion the needle is on.

You might try throwing your old stator on see what it does. I have herd of people going through a couple of them to get a good one.

The other very important thing here is to do the jetting in order and only change one thing at a time. You always set the main jet first. If you get no response from the main because the needle is way whacked out, then set the needle. Always go in order if you can. Main, needle, pilot and air screw. Skip this order and you will chase your tail forever.