Hatfield McCoy ?s

Hi. I'm will be going to Hatfield McCoy very soon but don't have a spark arrester. I was wondering if they check from the members that have been there. The plans were made before we realized this... I've read about alot of people going and nobody mentions them checking so I'm hoping it will be alright. We will most likely be doing the Browning Fork section, and try to go to Pinnacle if its not too far away.

They dont check but its a responsible thing to do (and they could stop you and check if you would happen to run into someone out there, not likely but you could) We just cut out screen and remove our silencer ends and put screen in there, only takes a couple minutes, doesnt affect anything really, and it may keep one of the most beautiful, challenging, insane woods riding areas from burning possibly.

when are you going and where will you be staying?

What are the mods to your banshee? I would definitely recommend some good tires and a backpack full of plugs and co2 cartridges. I run mudsharks down there

http://www.motorcycletireoutlet.com/165813.htm

may be able to find them a little cheaper, but I run the 21's and they do very well down there, and have been very puncture resistant for me. Definitely get some 6 ply's for up front.

An oversize gas tank is a wonderful thing to have down there. Before that I used to run a backpack (with waist and chest cross straps), and throw a 2 gallon gas can back there. There is a gas station down in gilbert at the one trail head so I would also bring oil that was pre measured for 1 gallon increments. You can literally go out from dawn until dusk and never see the same trail twice.

I wouldnt recommend going when there is a jamboree going on. I tend to like to hit them up the last weekend they are there. You get to experience it a little bit, the trails are very clean of debris, and you dont get the ton of riders on the trail.

There is a lot of dangerous areas down there, always do a ride through before you rip through an area, the rain comes down the mountain valley's so it can be raining on one side of the mountain, and sunny on the other. You'll get runoff washouts that if you dont know they are there, could suck you off the side of the trail into a ravine with your quad to never be seen again. Ride with respect for the area, cause it can, and will bite you.

Let me know if you have any questions, I go down there every year. Browning Fork (Rockhouse), is by far the best trailhead down there. Pinnacle in my opinion is to far away to be worth riding. It's a different area to ride, but their black trails are like the blue trails of rockhouse. If you are only going for a week, stick with rockhouse. It'll take a week to get used to it, and get adjusted to the trails.

The first 2 days, I would go by the map, and decide what trails you want to ride, are able to ride that arent out of your league and are the most fun. They cut trail 10 straight through the center where you used to have to loop way around and it would kill a lot of fuel, so now you can get to almost anywhere on a tank of gas. We used to not be able to make it from the top to the bottom in one tank. After you ride for a day or 2 and see what you like, get a sharpie, a piece of cardboard, and a freezer ziplock bag to store it in, and right down what trails you want to ride in order (like L10 (left on ten), R29, R64, L10, etc) It'll keep you guys from stopping at every intersection look at the map, and then decide where to go.

Hey thanks for the info. Yes your right it is the responsible thing to do about the spark arrester, but with a 2-stroke I don't see as much danger in it. I could make a screen equivalent to a USFS arrester, but without a sticker or having it stamped on exhaust I figure its not even worth it if they want to be picky. As far as mods go

noss head w/20cc domes

billet impeller

vf3 reed cage

moto tasserini reeds

k/n w/pro flow adapter

22" razr 6 ply fronts

22" all trak rears

full skid

motofast 2-1 pipe

mild port

.080 pro lites

Probably be in Gilbert Friday-Sunday afternoon. The Rincon has a gallon worth of slime, plugs and more than one compressor as well as some basic tools. I'll be taking my camel back with some co2, plugs, hex keys, and 10/12/14mm wrenches and a small adjustable wrench.

you running an open airbox? I run the foam filter because every time I've run a K&N I've ended up with crap inside the intake tract. I'd definitely run at least an outerwears on the filter

sounds like a pretty good setup you got there. If you plan on going there often I'd plan on going with a wider suspension and better shocks. It'll beat you up on some of the nasty climbs, and after I updated it actually made it a ton easier to get up some of the stuff.

Dont forget to bring zipties, electrical and duct tape, you never know what you might need them for. It's cool you have a rincon going with you, try to strap 2 gallons of fuel on it, you might end up needing it, and at least you guys will be able to stay out there longer.

Do you have a grille cover? I had one with slats in it that I ended up taking off because it wasnt flowing enough air. Throw a little water wetter in the coolant and it'll cool a little better. You'll be basically either going up hill or down hill the whole time. Bring LOTS of brakes. You'll end up going through a set a day probably, especially your rears. If you are riding with mostly 4 strokes, always ride a gear up and conserve fuel whenever you can....trust me, it'll eat it up out there.

Last time I went it was my shee, a 250R and 2 400ex's, the R and the shee, we're conserving fuel when we ride with the 4strokes. The one day me and my buddy with the R got up early to really rip the trails like 2 strokes can, and I burnt through about 3 gallons in a little over an hour

Have fun man, and take LOTS of pictures. It's hard because you want to be riding all the time. Theres a really good open spot if you come in from gilbert you have to hit it, there's a pretty cool hillclimb there too.

I've got a helmet camera now because it was too hard to take pictures all the time and I'd bring my camcorder but never film anything, so now I just look where I want to shoot and its always rolling.

Post up some pics when you get back.....its the Glamis of woods riding.

I'm in the middle of planning a trip down there next month. Let me know how it goes. I have some friends who have gone before, and they have said it may be the best riding ever. SO we'll see. What are your plans for lodging? I'm new to this so I'm just trying to get ideas. THanks for any info.

Yes your right it is the responsible thing to do about the spark arrester, but with a 2-stroke I don't see as much danger in it.

How do you figure? With a 2 stroke your burning oil along with fuel. Burning oil = carbon. The whole Idea of a spark arrestor is to catch hot pices of carbon.