Need help...420 long rod or 400 cheetah.

FMS50

I have decided to start changing things arround on the 2000 banshee in my sig. The bike already has a welded crank and a port job done by K&T. I cant figure out if i should go with a 420 long rod kit and have my cylinders sleeved because they are already ported or just install a 400 cheetah setup and keep from having to replace the crank. Replacing the crank doesnt bother me but im wondering what would give me better results. Either way I go bigger carbs are also in the future . Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by FMS50

I would go with the cheetah. You will obviously see an improvement over stockers even with a port job. I would just get a cub setup from Jeff with a clean up port on them. and just throw the stockers on ebay. As far as better results on the crank, im not sure about that but you wont be disapointed with the cubs

I have decided to start changing things arround on the 2000 banshee in my sig. The bike already has a welded crank and a port job done by K&T. I cant figure out if i should go with a 420 long rod kit and have my cylinders sleeved because they are already ported or just install a 400 cheetah setup and keep from having to replace the crank. Replacing the crank doesnt bother me but im wondering what would give me better results. Either way I go bigger carbs are also in the future . Any advice would be appreciated!

You can make the stockers run damn well...but, in all honesty, it's cheaper and easier to get HP out of that Cheetah.

That would be my choice as well...

On top of bigger carbs, you're gonna want better pipes as well...

Chances are since K&T done your cylinders they wont be able to report them for the 4mill crank. Not saying that in a bad way but I am sure it is a pretty aggressive port job and the transfer ports are probably raised to high for a 4 mill crank.

if your looking to go to a 4mm the stockers may not be able to be reused..

next are you talking about going to the big cheetah or the cubs?

the power that ive seen out of the 4mm cubs is right about 107hp or so with 35mm carbs (small imo) and stock ignition (being swapped to pvl)..

the power out of a 4mm big cheetah ive seen hit 121hp with the right parts on it...

Here's my .02 cents on your problem.Depending on how you ride IE:trail/dune/drag only will determine how to go.If you're going to stricktly race it sand/pavement go with the 421 cub set up sense you said buying a crank was no big deal or if you want to do all of the above go with the 421 cheetah and get the power valves with it.It will have more usable power for all types of riding. :beer: